Workman Publishing’s children’s department is growing! We are searching for a creative junior-to-mid level designer to help us create our evolving list. Our group creates innovative non-fiction children’s books, so this is a unique opportunity for just the right out-of-the box thinker/designer.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
You love to collaborate with editors, writers, illustrators, and other designers to develop new ideas. You’re idea-driven, but love to to dig into the weeds of a design project. You like to make sure everything is thought-out and harmonious. You’re very organized, with a track record of keeping projects on schedule and working around unexpected challenges. You have speedy production skills, and are eager to learn more about design. You have lots of ideas and varied interests, and are eager to work with our team to develop them into books!
Here are some of the things you might do in a typical week here:
• Lay out pages for our “Big Fat Notebook” series. These fun and complex best-sellers require both creativity and attention to detail.
• Design a book cover, and revise it based on feedback from the art director, editors, and sales team.
• Research illustrators for a new project the group is developing.
• Check-in with editors and the art director to discuss revisions to illustrations.
• Communicate with freelance illustrators to convey feedback, and guide them in the right direction.
• Participate in our weekly children’s development meeting, where we share inspiration and workshop projects.
• Brainstorm project ideas that fit with our goals of creating informative and unique books for children.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field.
• At junior designer level: minimum one year design experience, preferably in children’s publishing.
• At designer level: minimum three years design experience, preferably in children’s publishing.
• Strong design skills, including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
• Must be a collaborative team-player.
• Must be a creative problem-solver.
• Must be able to work under tight deadlines.
• Production and book layout experience are a plus.
And a little about us:
We are publishers of award-winning cookbooks, parenting/pregnancy guides, books on gardening, country living, and humor, as well as children’s books, gift books, fiction, and the bestselling calendar line in the business. Our children’s line includes the bestselling series "Brainquest," “Indestructibles" and "Big Fat Notebook." We’re located in Greenwich Village.
If this sounds like a job you’d excel at and enjoy, please send your cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. We apologize in advance, but not all applicants will receive a response.