Vitec Imaging Solutions - Lowepro/JOBY
Vitec's purpose is to support our customers to capture and share exceptional images. Our products and services encompass a variety of technologies, designed and engineered to ensure that, whatever the conditions, the image maker has the best equipment to "capture the moment".
It is our passion and privilege to design and provide accessible, comfortable, protective and creative products for our customers. Our brands cover a wide spectrum of high-quality designs for photography, video, action camera, drones, and mobile devices.
Lowepro designs carrying solutions for all kinds of image-makers and all kinds of storytellers and builds protective, high-quality gear for every climate and every condition.
Role: Sr. Product Designer - Lowepro
The Sr. Product Designer brings creativity, enthusiasm and a depth of experience to new product ideas to meet and to help define Product Roadmap. The Sr Product Designer works with Design team to evolve the product function and aesthetic at project and brand levels and partners with Product Management and Design teams to define product roadmap based on insight into user and markets. This role proposes designs to Product Team (Design, Development & Product Management) and communicates concept and construction to Development team and partners with them to communicate product to sample room and factory teams. The Sr. Product Designer is responsible for the integrity of products designed until they are approved for production and provides leadership in the department and guides fellow designers on projects as needed. Candidates should excel at sharing projects at every level from initial proposal to final concept and sample review.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Design Lowepro's user centric, highly functional and uniquely aesthetic product.
• Work closely with Design team and Product Management to define and expand product line and roadmap based on market insight, user feedback, and observations, field research and personal experience in product category.
• Conduct user research, including interviews, to determine needs and test product. This includes travel as needed. Coordinate testing of prototypes with users.
• Track trends, color research, new developments in materials and contribute to brand strategy as framework for individual projects.
• Use 2D and 3D tools to create initial specification for hand-off to Development team. Review and refine final specs with Development. Make and test mock-ups as appropriate.
• Collaborate with other Designers, Developers and Product Marketing team to Develop Brand strategies (material, color, pattern, feature technologies) and maintain consistency in the product lines.
• Aids in materials, hardware and technology research and sourcing support. This includes requesting testing of new and existing materials and evaluating the results.
• Understand every aspect and construction detail of new products including the patterning of essential forms.
• Travel to tradeshows in support of sales and to do competition surveys.
• Actively participate in project management and cost analysis to ensure the right products are being designed and that they are completed on-time and on-cost. This role is shared with Product developers and Product Managers.
• Assist in buyer and consumer presentation including marketing materials and sales presentations to efficiently communicate product story, features and benefits.
• Guide Design staff as needed and in roles defined by Director of Product Design.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Exceptional communication skills; highly articulate about design possibilities both verbally and visually. Actively seeks feedback from users and team members. Filters and builds better ideas from feedback.
• Extreme attention to designed detail.
• High degree of organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time with concurrent deliverables; able to estimate time and effort needed to perform a task and meet deadlines.
• Flexibility to change directions and priorities according to new information with a positive and proactive approach.
• Excel in a team environment and be an influential, contributing and adaptable member of the team. Lead and follow as needed. We all work on all projects.
• Solid analytical, conceptual, quantitative and technical skills with the ability to trouble-shoot and solve problems to deadline.
• Proficiency in 2D software (eg. Illustrator, Photoshop, Painter or similar)
• Proficient in MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel, Internet and E-mail software.
• Excellent sketching and visualizing skills
• Experience in 3D CAD modeling and rendering (eg. Modo, Rhino, Alias, Solidworks, Catia or similar)
Education and/or Experience
• B.F.A. or B.S. degree required in Industrial or Fashion Design; and/or equivalent experience and/or training.
• Ability to design finished products utilizing cut and sew styling abilities, knowledge of fabrics, trims and notions/hardware.
• 5+ years experience designing sewn products and a demonstrated expertise in the media.
We offer a generous benefits package to include medical, dental and vision, FSA, and 401(k) with match.
If you share our passion for creating remarkable products, we welcome your cover letter and resume for consideration.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.