A CMF Designer at Tesla’s Design Studio is responsible for the color, material, and finish design of future Tesla vehicles. As part of this team, you will be creating and executing world-class products in terms of form, function, and luxury.
As a part of this fast-paced design team, you are involved in every aspect of the design process. This includes trend research, analysis and translation, mood and story creation, development of CMF strategy, and executing final color, materials, and finishes for production.
A successful CMF Designer demonstrates the ability to create compelling and innovative solutions that push boundaries while collaborating with suppliers and cross-functional teams to ensure successful implementation into production. Our ideal CMF Designer holds high standards for quality, attention to detail, builds strong relationships with other team members, and enjoys a dynamic work environment.
- Ideate, visualize, and develop design proposals for colors, materials, and finishes for Tesla designs.
- Develop digital and physical CMF presentations that show a future vision for Tesla designs.
- Collaborate and strategize with cross functional teams, including design and manufacturing, to implement production of final CMF designs.
- Analyze and approve color, materials, and finishes for all vehicle exterior and interior surfaces.
- Guide design execution of colors, materials, and finishes for both prototype and production vehicles.
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors. Includes identifying new resources for materials to ensure innovative designs.
- Independently source and maintain a comprehensive internal library of inspirational, advanced, and relevant materials and finishes.
- Manage design intent through color tuning and material mastering all commodities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Textile Design, Color and Material Design, or the equivalent in professional experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- 4+ years of CMF experience, preferably within the automotive OEM space.
- Must have demonstrable technical knowledge of mass production, manufacturing processes, and materials.
- Demonstrate high color acuity and ability to pass the Munsell Hue Color Test with a perfect score.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional visual, communication, and presentation skills.
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office.
- Must be self-motivated, adaptable, flexible, and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.
** All candidates MUST submit a portfolio/personal website to be considered for this position. **