EchoUser is a holistic UX research & design firm working in projects from digital to outer space. We pride ourselves on researching and designing for a wide variety of complex products and domains. Whether it’s enterprise design (e.g., VMware; Varian Medical Systems; Cisco; etc.), massive user populations (large search engines; car drivers), multifaceted systems (e.g., BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit), different experiences (e.g., Gooru, and the ‘learning experience’), or other real-life experiential challenges (e.g., bagels; coffee; living in deep space; etc.), we specialize in taking on complex projects and succeeding with compelling design founded on a deep understanding of users.
We are looking for experienced Visual/Interaction Designers to help our partner-clients in the San Francisco area (and beyond where needed). We are considering multiple openings, but expect these roles to be able to independently perform projects and lead clients where needed. Exact title would be appropriate to your level & experience. If you see yourself taking on many roles, from independent UX design, large-scale multi-disciplinary projects, visual & interaction design, to the occasional business conversation, read on.
* Approximately 3+ years of hands-on, professional, applied visual and/or interaction design (outside of any school program coursework) is required for this position.
* Demonstrable knowledge and skills in interaction and visual design at an experienced level. Creating wireframes, visual design, design specifications, functional prototypes, concept designs, etc., should be a straightforward production ability. You should be able to show us work samples that demonstrate your passion for design and breadth of ability. You should be able to describe work situations where you helped lead other designers, developers, and product managers in design direction.
* Ideally you have ‘big company’ experience. Many of our clients expect a certain level of ‘big company’ professionalism and detail (in fact, many of them are actually big companies). Having said that, your ability to take all that you know and fit it to a super-charged fast-as-we-can early-stage start-up is important as well. One size does not fit all.
* Technically adept and conversant. While we test most anything, software is our bread and butter. And sometimes it gets quite technical.
* Some experience leading and mentoring others. We are inherently collaborative, and growing. There are many aspects of the role that are mentor-related activities, both internally and with our clients.
* Well-versed in "user research and usability". Given that we wear many hats, no one will be designing in a cave. User research and usability is a core business driver for us. You must be able to participate in these activities.
* Some more technical skills. What exactly? Who knows; you tell us. There's something you do, can build, or know about that is interesting to you and that we'd like to hear about.
* A Bachelor's or Master's degree in a design-oriented specialization is required. Additional technical degrees with emphasis or specific experience in these areas are also welcome.
Along with your resume (LinkedIn preferred), please send a brief description of yourself and why you'd like to work with us at EchoUser. Sharing an online viewable portfolio is required. It does not need to show all perfect work (in fact, showing some messy progress work is great for letting us know how you think), but we do need to see design examples.
We look forward to hearing from you.