The Industrial Designer role is a full-time position based out of our Seattle, WA office. This individual will be responsible for driving the creation of innovative and compelling molded computer and tablet cases.
You will work with a team of talented designers to execute against brand and product strategies. You will present your designs through sketches, technical drawings and CAD renderings as you take each product from concept to production ready sample.
• User research, sketching, model making, prototyping and testing for potential products and/or work on enhancing an existing product to make it more appealing to consumers.
• Developing ideas into detailed drawings using computer-aided industrial design software.
• Researching markets, consumer trends, products and developing ideas for the promotional product industry.
• Perform research on appearance, safety, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods, labor to produce product and market characteristics.
• Overseeing the selection process of prototypes and manage the physical samples of chosen designs.
• Work with engineering, marketing, production, and/or sales departments to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products.
• Understanding technology, production methods and materials.
• Working within budgets and tight deadlines.
• You will report directly to our Head of Product.
The ideal candidate…
• Has previously held a full-time job (for 3+ years) in a consumer product industry.
• Has strong aesthetic sensibility and can visually & verbally communicate his/her creative ideas through sketches, renderings and presentations.
• Can take concepts from drawings into CAD files, then manage the tool development and ultimately into a final approved molded product from the tool.
• Has advanced drawing skills.
• Has knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes that help you work efficiently with factories through the development process.
• Is creative but also organized and focused. You know how to get stuff done while still delivering unique, creative solutions.
• Knows how to prioritize through asking good questions.
• Has a passion for consumer electronics
• Bachelor of Fine Arts, BS or BID degree specializing in Industrial Design.
• 3+ years of industrial design experience working in molded goods.
• Senior experience in using SolidWorks.
• Live in Seattle, WA or are willing to relocate.
• Available to travel up to 10% of the time, including international travel.
Additional but not required:
• Traveled to China to work with suppliers.
• Experience with Cut & Sew Cases.
This is for a full-time position with salary and benefits.
Please note that candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents need to have authorization to work in the US to be considered for this position.
Interested? Please send an email to email@example.com with subject line,
"Industrial Designer@GumdropCases" containing the following information:
1. Resume in PDF or Word.
2. How would you rate your level of expertise in SolidWorks on a scale of 1-10 (1 being a beginner and 10 being an expert)?
3. How would you rate your level of expertise in hand sketching on a scale of 1-10 (1 being a beginner and 10 being an expert)?
4. Please provide a PDF or link to sketches you've done.
5. Please provide a PDF or link to your online portfolio on products you have designed that reflect your talent and relevant industry experience.
6. In order for us to prepare a competitive compensation package for you, please provide us with:
a. Current salary (if currently employed)
b. Expected salary
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.