Sep 17, 2018
The Department of Industrial Design in the School of Design at Pratt Institute invites applications for an Assistant Chairperson to begin January 1, 2019. The Industrial Design department is a leading provider of both undergraduate and graduate education in the field. The Assistant Chairperson reports to the Chairperson with the daily operations of the department as well as with the development, implementation and management of the departmental academic affairs to support and improve the educational life of the students, faculty, and staff.
Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design, and information science, which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
• Assist Chair in developing, coordinating and reviewing department's curriculum that aligns with department's mission and learning outcomes.
• Assist Chair in planning course schedules, course offerings, and faculty assignments.
• Assist Chair with the recruitment, selection and retention of faculty and staff.
• Advise all graduate students.
• Assist Chair with coordination of admissions activities, including serving on the Graduate Application Review Committee.
• Assist Chair in developing and coordinating program's assessment activities.
• Assist in coordination of the GID program and reviews of undergraduate transfer students.
• Assist in the management of departmental classrooms and facilities.
• Serve on department, school and Institute committees and represent the department at various meetings, workshops and forums on and off campus.
• Coordinate end-of-year reviews as well as internal and external exhibition events.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as needed.
Candidates should have a minimum of three years' teaching experience (part-time or full time), within a college or university setting, and a minimum of two years' academic administrative experience (program coordinator or equivalent).
A Master's Degree or equivalent in industrial design or a related discipline is required.
Successful candidates will demonstrate expertise in the practice and education of design. Excellent organizational, communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop rapport with a diverse faculty and student body are required.
This administrative appointment is 12 months. Teaching one course per term is supported and encouraged with additional salary for this work as per contact hours of the course(s).
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit a letter of application/interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references via our internal applcation site at http://apply.interfolio.com/55048
Applicants should also submit 10 samples of their personal/professional work, and up to 10 samples of student's work.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/ffkdc3zh63d9ry2b