The Department of Design in the School of Design and Creative Technologies at The University of Texas at Austin (UT) seeks a faculty colleague with a focus in interaction design. We encourage applications from both academics and seasoned practitioners eager to join a team of whole-hearted collaborators in reinventing design education for the twenty-first century. Salary is competitive; rank and tenure status are commensurate with experience.
With the support of College of Fine Arts leadership, we are reimagining our coursework, curriculum, and structure from the point of view that design is more powerful and informed when practiced in concert with other disciplines. Course development and teaching responsibilities in our fast-growing programs may include the following:
• introductory courses in user interface design and other forms of interaction for both design majors and curious non-majors from engineering, business, computer science, medicine, and other fields
• introductory, intermediate, and advanced undergraduate and graduate courses in interaction design
• senior capstone project and exhibition courses
• thematic/special topics courses in your area of expertise at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
• interdisciplinary team-taught courses that enroll students from multiple design specializations and/or university departments
• graduate thesis supervision and/or committee service
In addition to teaching, the full-time faculty in interaction design will participate in administrative and student service activities, including development of new curricula. Faculty appointed with tenure or to the tenure track are also expected to maintain an active agenda of scholarly research and/or creative professional practice; non-tenure-track faculty are encouraged to do so as well.
Candidates for these positions must:
• have a strong portfolio of recent design work, including but not limited to interaction design
• be proficient in industry-standard software for both prototyping and production
• have earned a terminal degree in their field, OR demonstrate equivalent professional experience
• have a record of working productively and collegially with people of diverse disciplines, ranks, races, ethnicities, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities.
We are particularly interested in candidates who:
• have a record of successful collaboration across disciplines.
• have experience teaching both small- and large-enrollment courses, and/or hybrid or online courses.
• have experience developing new courses and curricula
• can demonstrate (through degrees earned, portfolio of work, or writings) expertise in a field complementary to interaction design
• are familiar with contemporary interaction design workflows, concepts, and methods of production, including coding
• are practicing in the areas of augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), experiential environments, and/or creative coding
• can demonstrate (through degrees earned, portfolio of work, writings, or course syllabuses) engagement with one or more of the following areas:
o design for inclusion
o design research, including design ethnography or design anthropology
o public interest design or design for social impact
o design ethics
ABOUT THE DESIGN DEPARTMENT:
The design program at UT, formerly a division of the Department of Art and Art History, became the Department of Design in 2017 and combined forces with the recently created Department of Arts and Entertainment Technologies, the Center for Integrated Design, and the Design Institute for Health to form the new School of Design and Creative Technologies (SDCT). The move to SDCT has enabled the design program to expand its enrollment and course offerings to meet growing demand from majors and non-majors, and to develop industry partnerships.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN:
The University of Texas at Austin is a flagship, comprehensive research university of over 50,000 students that is routinely ranked in the top 50 universities globally by U.S. News and World Report, Times Higher Education, and the Center for World University Rankings. UT is located in Austin, the capital of Texas, a city renowned for its vibrant cultural life and its thriving creative and tech industries. Austin is routinely included in top-ten lists of best US cities for new college grads, for young professionals, for future job growth, and for outdoor activities, urban forests, and family friendliness.
SDCT encourages applications from candidates belonging to groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education, including women, racial and ethnic minorities, the differently-abled, and members of the LGBTQIA community.
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
To apply for the position, please submit the following documents by January 4, 2019 to Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/57328
1. A letter of application explaining your qualifications for, and interest in, the position;
2. A curriculum vitae (CV) or professional résumé;
3. A link to or pdf of your portfolio of recent work;
4. Contact information for three references (letters will be requested only for finalists).
Questions about the application process and Interfolio may be directed to SDCT Executive Assistant Mr. Cameron Weed at email@example.com; questions about the positions themselves may be directed to search committee chair Dr. Carma Gorman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are excited about the possibilities of working in the Department of Design, but don’t fit this particular job description, please see our open call for faculty, here: https://apply.interfolio.com/54754