Maryland Institute College of Art seeks a candidate who would be capable of teaching all levels of the undergraduate Product Design program, be proficient in traditional and emerging techniques, and have a broad understanding of new approaches to Product Design.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate design excellence, encourage innovative teaching methods, and inspire students to become design leaders. The candidate would teach a range of introductory and advanced courses with a focus on the aesthetics of appropriate form giving, digital technologies, and materials and manufacturing. The successful candidate must have attained significant professional achievement in product design and demonstrate a commitment to a user centric design methodology and entrepreneurial approaches. We seek a leader, passionate student mentor, and generous colleague who can further develop our design community within the College and regionally.
- MFA, MDes, or equivalent Master’s degree;
- Minimum three years of full-time teaching experience (at the college-level beyond graduate assistantships is preferred) and/or equivalent professional experience;
- Demonstrates ability to build curriculum from undergrad foundation to capstone courses;
- Demonstrated knowledge of visualization, digital modeling, and fabrication techniques;
- Significant professional achievement in product design, industrial design or related field;
- Candidate must successfully complete a full background check.
Valued, but not required:
- Experience advising students;
- Experience supporting a department through engaging in committee service and institutional activities;
- Understanding of user centered design and entrepreneurship in creative industries.
1) The first multi-page PDF document should include letter of application, comprehensive CV, statement of teaching philosophy, artist statement, example curricula and/or syllabi, and names and contact information including address, phone and email for three references.
2) The second multi-page PDF document should include a portfolio of 20-25 images of professional creative work and15-20 images of student work, to include descriptions. Links to live URLs may be submitted as well, but will be considered as a secondary source.
MICA will review applications as received. Materials received before January 18, 2019 are assured of receiving full consideration, but position will remain open until filled. All inquiries, nominations & applications will be held in the strictest confidence.
MICA provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact Human Resources at 410-225-2363.
Check the full job announcement here: https://assets.mica.edu/files/resources/full-time-faculty-product-design.pdf.
All applicants apply online via Slide Room here: https://micahr.slideroom.com/#/login/program/46635 (scroll down to Sign Up).