With the success of our first-generation climbing shoe product line, Black Diamond is expanding the footwear team and in search of a talented footwear designer to focus on climbing shoes and mountain footwear. The Footwear Designer needs to have an intimate understanding of the sport of rock climbing and other mountain activities and a proven track record as a successful footwear designer. As a key member of the product team the footwear designer needs to be able to collaborate with the product line manager and developer as well working with designers and design directors on the broader team. The designer will work with the footwear team to define and confirm the last design, upper patterning, functional design, key performance features, materials selection and other aesthetic considerations. The Footwear Designer also needs to travel frequently to work directly with factories in different parts of the world and needs to be comfortable in a collaborative manufacturing environment.
• Generate footwear prototypes and concepts at the last shape and pattern design level
• Overseas factory travel, sample making, design iteration and support
• Collaborate on footwear line plans and product functional specifics
• Participate in sales presentations, global sales meetings and go-to-market meetings
• Support and participate in field testing
• Support Europe Key Account visits/meetings for product research
Who You Are
• You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Product Designer or other closely related field, along with experience in footwear product creation specific to rock climbing shoes.
• You have 7+ years of post-graduate experience in footwear product.
• Proven track record of commercializing successful climbing shoes and mountain footwear along with creative and compelling designs and a portfolio of commercially successful products.
• Intimate understanding of the construction and use of climbing shoes.
• You’re a climbing guru and possess an in-depth working knowledge of rock climbing in its various forms and the footwear needs specific to each of the climbing disciplines.
• You’re creative. You can easily design concepts through mock-ups, samples, and drawings that clearly communicate design intent.
• Research is your thing. You conduct research, present project status, communicate clearly, meet deadlines and utilize Microsoft Office Suite
Benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long Term Disability as well as other wellness benefits, and 401k. BD offers supplemental accident, hospital insurance and pet insurance. Relaxed dress code and a dog friendly office is everyday at BD. If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy discounts on industry gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.