Home Essentials is the global resource for trend-forward housewares, home décor, and life style product. Our company is looking for a full-time creative and talented packaging designer who will work with a small team to develop various kinds of packaging - such as gift boxes, bellybands, hangtags, sticker labels, and more - for a variety of inspiring and stylish items and collections.
The packaging designer will be involved in the following stages of packaging design:
1. Concept development. Through trend research, our designer will gain an understanding of how to design packaging for individual products or a collection of products. Each collection requires an identity that is communicated through the packaging to the consumer.
2. Packaging creation and file setup. The concept will be applied to a final product, either using existing dielines or creating new dielines. Our designer will know how to apply the concept to many shapes and sizes of packaging, with a balance of flexibility and restraint. Our packaging designers work as a team, with product developers, buyers, and a photography department. Packaging artwork files will include specifications on materials, colors, and special printing processes.
3. Packaging approval. All designs will be sent to their respective product developer and/or buyer in order to ensure the designs are meeting all requirements and are ready to export. This will often require creation and construction of mock-up packaging to present and review clearly. The packaging designers are responsible for revising each design until approved to proceed.
4. File exporting. Once approved, packaging design files must be finalized and sent to the appropriate factory. Files must be ready to print. Factories will communicate back to the designer regarding questions and concerns, as well as send print proofs for initial approval.
5. The factories will send print samples to designer for approval. The designer will compare the final product to initial design, and address any issues to the factory in order to proceed to mass production.
Home Essentials is looking for the following qualities in a candidate:
Ability to work independently and efficiently. The designer will be able to multitask and will be expected to add his or her own artistic and technical perspective to each project. She/he must have knowledge in technical packaging development, as well as an engaging and flexible creative style, in order to execute a finished product.
Willingness to communicate, and openness to critique. While individual concepts and projects and developed by the designer, they will be expected to work with our product managers and developers to achieve the best final result for each project. The designer will present concepts to review, and will be required to adjust packaging based on further direction. She/he will also be in regular communication with the product managers and developers regarding upcoming and pending projects.
Understanding of brand development and brand guidelines. The designer will be working to create new collection identities from the ground up, as well as working to expand or update existing collections. Furthermore, she/he will be given artwork and brand guidelines and specifications developed by our customers.
Enthusiasm for forward-thinking design. As new collections are born and existing collections mature, the designer must look to current trends to adapt and refresh their creative output.
- Create innovative packaging design solutions
- Develop new collections and expand on existing collections
- Create compelling visuals through typography, imagery, color, and composition
- Create mock-ups for presentation
- Create signage and graphics for trade shows and showroom
- Set up files for production and maintain organization
- Create and manipulate dielines
- Develop copywriting
- Work as a team, with an independent work ethic as well
- Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design (or related field)
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
- Understanding of dielines
- Understanding of style and brand guidelines
- Comprehensive knowledge of printing techniques and packaging construction
- Detail-oriented discipline combined with big-picture thinking
- Organized and reliable
Salary commensurate with experience. Packaging designer will work full-time onsite.
To apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must send a resume and a link to your portfolio to be considered.