- About This Role -
The Department of Interior Architecture and Product Design (IAPD) at Kansas State University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position for the academic year beginning August 2019. The appointment will be at the rank of assistant or associate professor. Kansas State University is a land grant institution and candidates should be committed to a tripartite mission of teaching, creative and/or scholarly research, and service. The interdisciplinary and active learning environment of IAPD provides students with an extraordinary education interweaving interior architecture, product design, furniture design, and foundational design into a strong program of study. In our degree, innovation and the art of ‘making’ intersect with evidence-based design in educating our students. We are searching for a colleague with creative energy, passion and vision for the future of IAPD who values research, design, and making, has a collaborative spirit, and can contribute at multiple levels of the curriculum. We aspire to find a colleague who embodies the four core values: versatility, collegiality, coherence, and peer evaluation.
Teaching: The main emphasis of this position is Product Design. The successful candidate will demonstrate the potential ability to teach in design studios across the curriculum and the capability to integrate contemporary sustainable methods into his or her design studio teaching. The candidate should also have expertise and be able to develop lecture or seminar courses in one of the following areas: virtual reality design, innovative modeling processes, advanced manufacturing techniques, digital technology, material methods and processes, or design theory. Submitted work must show design and/or teaching excellence in one of these areas.
Creative and Scholarly Agenda: The successful candidate will demonstrate ability to develop research and creative scholarship based on their teaching and creative interests/professional expertise. These interests will form the core of his or her scholarly/creative agenda and serve as the basis for promotion and advancement.
- Why Join Us -
The Interior Architecture and Product Design Department is housed in the College of Architecture, Planning and Design alongside the Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning Departments. This creates a robust environment of creative disciplines ripe with collaborative opportunities and infrastructure. We have also moved into a renovated and newly built building, Seaton Regnier Hall. This new facility has the latest in technology and houses a world class facility with 20,000 sq. ft. of fabrication and research laboratories. The department offers a five-year Master of Interior Architecture and Product Design program, and a three-year post-baccalaureate program (MIAPD) as the first-professional degree.
- About Our Department/Kansas State University -
Accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) since 1974 and also approved by NASAD (the National Association for Schools of Art and Design), the IAPD program is built upon a 50-year tradition of providing students with a nationally recognized and innovative education. The College of Architecture, Planning and Design was chosen by professionals surveyed by Designlntelligence for "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools 2014" and in 2018 as the 7th best Interior Design graduate program in the nation, and the highest ranked public graduate program.
- We Support Diversity and Inclusion -
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the Principles of Community.
- What You’ll Need to Succeed -
• Master’s degree or higher in Product Design, Industrial Design, or related field.
• Ability to develop and teach lectures and seminars in one or more required areas of our curriculum.
• Ability to develop a scholarly/creative agenda related to his or her academic/professional expertise.
• Experience and knowledge of industry standard of 2D and 3D CAD modeling software.
• Three or more years of creative professional practice experience in Product/Industrial Design.
• Ability to teach design studios/workshops across the curriculum.
• Diverse design background and ability to teach design thinking at multiple scales.
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching design studios and capability to serve in a design studio leadership role.
• Established scholarly/creative agenda.
• Record of service to the academic and professional communities.