3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for Industrial Design, Graphic Design, UX Design and Design Research Interns for the summer of 2019 to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
An intern position is a temporary assignment (typical 10-12 week, full-time schedule assignment) with 3M's Corporate Student Programs. Corporate Student Programs is designed to provide 3M with the opportunity to identify qualified candidates for regular employment, and to provide students with the opportunity to integrate their academic knowledge with work experience. As a Student Programs participant, you will develop skills, and gain work experience in your field of study.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business and improve the customer experience? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the design journey at an innovation company like 3M, driven by curiosity.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
3M Design Intern primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Delivers industrial, graphic and/or user experience (UX) design or design research content as an individual contributor in support of project goals.
• Performs all duties in support of 3M Design expectations and responsibilities as well as any agreed upon business unit expectations.
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited university
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in graphic design, industrial design, product design, user experience design, service design, design management or design research from an accredited university
• Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
• Completed Junior year or higher of curriculum by date available to start internship
• Strong coursework experience in illustration, visual branding, typography, photography, color and pattern. Coursework in print methods, sketching, 3D modeling and technologies a plus
• Able and willing to provide a non-confidential portfolio of student/professional work for review
• Positive attitude, team player
• Effective ideation ability + strong visualization/sketching skills
• Keyshot or other rendering software a plus (for ID interns)
• Research, IA, prototyping and wireframe development (for UX interns)
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino, Solidworks and/or other platforms critical to design effectiveness and execution depending on the design discipline
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: This position may include up to 10% travel
The target start date for this position is May/June 2019
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter. Learn more about 3M at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNews.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
For consideration for an internship position, please include a link or attach a file of your nonconfidential portfolio of design work through your career services and apply to the position at the following link:
To learn more about the 3M Design internship experience watch this video:
For consideration for an internship position, please include a link or attach a file of your non-confidential portfolio of design work through your career services and apply to the position at the following link:
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.