Associate Creative Director
Second Story is an interdisciplinary design studio exploring the boundaries between storytelling, the built environment, and technology. We are seeking an Associate Creative Director who will lead a breadth of small- to large-scale integrated media projects for influential cultural institutions and branded environments. Reporting to the studio Creative Director, you will be responsible for leading multi-disciplinary teams through all phases of a project, from conception to execution, while upholding the studio’s standards of excellence.
As an accomplished craftsperson, you will lead with a balance of making and managing, cultivating an environment of creativity and collaboration. You are intrinsically motivated by the adventure of breaking boundaries to create something new and different. You are a true collaborator with a positive disposition, a solution-based attitude, and the ability to work with people with diverse skills, backgrounds, and beliefs. This is an exceptional opportunity for a rewarding career in an emerging creative field.
• Manage the day-to-day project activities of creative team members (experience design, visual design, animation, copy, industrial design, etc.).
• Collaborate with Producers and Technical Leads to oversee multiple projects from inception to completion (planning, defining deliverables, reviewing work, etc.)
• Work with the studio Creative Director to ensure the quality of all creative deliverables throughout the project
• Promote a culture of creative and design innovation
• Lead creative presentations to clients
• Lead creative for pitches and new business responses
• Build and nurture strong client relationships, traveling to be on-site with clients when necessary
• Mentor and grow junior creative talent
Skills & Experience
• 10+ years professional experience in architectural, industrial, experience, exhibition and/ or interaction design
• 1+ years experience managing and leading creative project teams
• A professional degree in a relevant field
• Robust portfolio demonstrating conceptual and executional excellence
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present design concepts directly to clients
• Expert proficiency in relevant design software (Adobe CS, C4D/Rhino/3DS, etc.)
• A strong knowledge of the design process in order to guide complex projects from concept to completion
• The ability to generate and refine ideas into thoughtful, provocative concepts
• The ability to clearly articulate ideas to clients and internal teams verbally and in writing
• The capacity to provide clear feedback to all disciplines and to translate feedback from a Creative Director, clients, and the team into action
• The ability to craft stories—be they written, visual, or verbal—and present with passion to sell work in new business situations and client creative reviews
• Strong leadership and people management skills (with clients and internal teams)
This position will be considered for our studio location in Portland, Oregon on a full-time or contract basis. Full-time employees receive a very competitive, comprehensive salary and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, employer-contributed 401(k), and professional development funds.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com