Senior Environmental Designer
Second Story is an interdisciplinary design studio exploring the boundaries between storytelling, the built environment, and technology. We are seeking a Senior Environmental Designer who
will help us actively evolve traditional environmental design practices (exhibit design, industrial design, interior design, architecture) in the emerging field of integrated media environments.
This team member will conceive, develop, and detail complex physical exhibits, fixtures, and environments for influential cultural institutions and branded environments. You will work in blended teams alongside content strategists, experience designers, visual and motion designers, engineers, developers, and producers. You will be responsible for the conception and execution of small-scale to large-scale environmental projects as well as the maintenance and evolution of our documentation and construction administration standards. This is an exceptional opportunity for a rewarding career path outside of the traditional exhibition or architecture design setting.
• Create project designs, including 3D exhibit elements, interiors, floor plans, elevations, artifact displays, and interactive components
• Develop narratives of exhibit elements, visualize and articulate their functionality
• Collaborate in conceptual development and visualize design concepts through both
hand-drawn sketches and computer renderings
• Manage the execution of physical design scope on projects blending media and environments
• Create contract documents, including drawings and specifications, and consult on the aspects of agreements related to physical design as appropriate
• Administer construction; develop and maintain consultant, fabricator, and contractor relationships
• Maintain and evolve studio standards of practice, drawing, specifying, and collaborating
• Collaborate in project development in concert with teams from other disciplines
Skills & Experience
• 5+ years professional experience in Exhibit, Interior, Industrial, or Architectural design.
• A professional degree in Exhibition, Interior, Industrial, or Architectural Design
• Robust portfolio demonstrating the design and detailing of contemporary and innovative physical exhibition environments
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present design concepts directly to clients
• Strong visualization skills including hand-drawn sketching, 2D and 3D renders
• Experience in the display and preservation of objects and artifacts
• Demonstrated relevant 3D software capabilities
• Direct experience with and knowledge of materials
• Ability to create contract documents that inspire fabricators to do their best work
This position will be considered for our studio location in Portland, Oregon on a full-time or contract basis. Full-time employees receive a very competitive, comprehensive salary and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, disability, employer-contributed 401(k), and professional development funds.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Second Story
Second Story is a network of design studios focusing on responsive environments, story-driven experiences, and experience innovation. For more than 20 years, we have conceptualized, designed, and developed environments that educate, immerse, and activate across the cultural and brand space. In our studios in Atlanta, New York, and Portland, designers, producers, and technologists collaborate in a lab-based environment to create experiences that reward audience interaction with powerful, personalized pathways through content and the world of ideas. Second Story’s work has received hundreds of awards and is included in the Smithsonian’s permanent research collection on information technology. For more information, visit www.secondstory.com.