Garmin’s Consumer Industrial Design team is looking for a CMF designer to join us in Kansas City. You’ll be part of a talented and passionate team of designers developing products for Garmin’s Automotive, Outdoor, Fitness, and Marine markets -- products like cycling computers, outdoor handhelds, dash cams, marine radars, and much more. As well as a growing range of wearables for wellness, running, outdoor, golf, kids, and scuba diving.
Work directly with industrial design, engineering, and leadership to create compelling color, material, and finish solutions for consumer products sold worldwide. Join our growing team with over 30 Industrial Designers in a 35,000 square foot design studio and prototype shop with extensive design and prototyping equipment. We’re looking for an experienced CMF designer with the courage to explore new ideas in colors, materials, and finishes, combined with the ability to collaborate respectfully in a team.
See work examples and follow us on Instagram:
Learn more about Kansas City:
A Garmin CMF Designer leads and supports the selection of colors and materials for consumer products collaborating with Industrial Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Leadership teams to explore, innovate, and execute world-class designs. You will utilize your knowledge of category-specific consumer trends to improve product appearance.
• Explore a wide variety of compelling color and material options through renderings and prototypes for Garmin’s consumer products
• Develop strategies for color and material implementation by identifying opportunities for innovation
• Maintain and establish a color and material library
• Manage and analyze trends in fashion, lifestyle, and colors
• Communicate concepts and ideas through verbal, visual, and written means
• Work with a team of prototype specialists to create color and material targets
• Collaborate with Industrial Design, Engineering, and Leadership teams to translate project goals into relevant design solutions
• Communicate with suppliers during color matching process
• Collaborate with material engineer and team members in Asia to research new materials and finishes
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• 3 + years experience performing the essential functions of the job
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Graphic Design, related field, or a minimum of 5 years experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description
• Digital proficiency in the use of tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, and Keyshot
• Excellent presentation skills
• Ability to rapidly explore a wide variety of colors, material, and finish options
• A love for trends, technology, and an active lifestyle
• Courage to explore new ideas
• Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work respectfully with others
As a leading worldwide provider of navigation, we are committed to making superior products for automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor and fitness markets that are an essential part of our customers’ lives. Our vertical integration business model keeps all design, manufacturing, marketing and warehouse processes in-house, giving us more control over timelines, quality and service. Our user-friendly products are not only sought after for their compelling design, superior quality and best value, but they also have innovative features that enhance the lives of our customers. We are focused on recruiting top performers in all areas of the company to drive innovation and success.
As part of our ongoing commitment to helping associates maintain a healthy balance between work and life, we sponsor company-wide and individual wellness initiatives, as well as world-class sporting events—and even some of the participating athletes. In each of the communities in which we do business, Garmin has a strong philanthropic and civic presence. Our associates benefit from these connections in many ways, including through discounts on products and services, opportunities to attend sponsored events, and even help with work-life initiatives, such as pilot certification and adoption assistance.
Garmin International is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Please submit portfolio and resume to: email@example.com
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.