Simplisafe is looking for a Design Research professional as we scale our Product Design team. In this role, you will perform user-centered design research to develop consumer insights and utilize these insights to guide your team’s direction. This role is a great opportunity to influence and contribute to a new Product Design team.
We are in the midst of an aggressive hiring plan to fill our needs as we prepare for our next steps as a company. The Product Design team is a primary focus and our Head of Product Design will be building his team from the ground up. As such, you will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact on Simplisafe’s product design and you will be in a great position to grow within the department as Simplisafe continues to expand.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against the entrenched giants, like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively. In service to this challenge, we are expanding our Product Design team to produce the most cutting-edge designs on the market for our next generation of products.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Conduct qualitative design research to inform and inspire design strategy and product development
- Utilize in-home design research to identify user needs
- Synthesize raw research data to derive creative insights and opportunities
- Apply research insights to creative design solutions
- Collaborate with design team and other multidisciplinary teams
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- Familiarity with a wide variety of qualitative research methodologies, such as: conducting one-on-one interviews and ethnographic-style fieldwork, moderating group conversations, running live prototyping sessions, conducting co-design workshops, and engaging users remotely
- Impactful and passionate communicative skills
- A zeal for turning qualitative research data into themes and design opportunities
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in applied research, outside of academic training. This might include design research, UX research, market research, applied sciences, journalism, and others
- Experience applying research insights to creative design solutions
- Track record of working in highly collaborative design teams, or other multidisciplinary teams
- Familiarity with working across a variety of sectors and industries
- Some experience with basic mixed methods research that includes quantitative data. In particular, designing simple surveys (with tools like Google Forms, Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey)
Simplisafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurens in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing Simplisafe products in their own home when they realized there weren’t any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, Simplisafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work in 2019’ list and in Wealthfront’s ‘2019 Career Launching Companies’ list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!
BENEFITS & PERKS:
Health, dental and vision coverage - We cover 85% of plans and offer excellent BCBS HMO/PPO Health plans
Unlimited paid time off - To give you the flexibility and work/life balance you seek
401k Matching and Company Equity - To help you prepare for the future
Commuter Pre-Tax Benefits - To help cover the costs of transportation and parking at our Downtown Boston HQ
Beer Fridays, Bagel Thursdays, Bi-Weekly Lunches, Team and Company Outings – We know how to have fun! Besides, who doesn’t like free food and drinks?!
*Please note: this position does require the ability to travel
All applicants are required to submit a resume and a link to their portfolio. Additional website links and cover letters are welcome as well but not mandatory.
Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns to Ryan.Clough@simplisafe.com
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.