Careers that Change Lives
At Medtronic, our designers are at the center our design lead product development process. Through the design journey, the product designer takes research insights and works with the cross-function teams to create thoughtful and user-engaging solutions that positively impact clinicians and patients who are the end users we serve.
You will be a member of the new Pre-Concept team that supports the design and development of innovative, new products within the Respiratory Intervention (RI) business. You will apply advanced design strategy and technical concepts to solve complex problems and distill these down to simple, elegant product offerings which strike the appropriate balance of functionality and user engagement. We count on you to strengthen our procedural fluency in design and to push the edges of how we produce beautiful products that inspire both internal and external stakeholders.
Respiratory Intervention’s purpose is to improve the management of patients with acute respiratory failure. We will do this by providing respiratory interventions which improve outcomes and reduce the cost of procedural complications. The newly formed Technology Development/Pre-Concept team will focus on creating category redefining products and services for eliminating difficult intubations.
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
A Day in the Life
As an RI Product Designer you will collaborate with the technology and product development team (design researchers, marketers, software, hardware and mechanical engineers, clinicians and scientists) with a focus on the user experience, the Product Designer will follow a user centric iterative design process to arrive at designs that meet the clinical needs of the user, while also capturing their imagination through pure form and intuitive functionality. This will be done in close collaboration with the full development team to strike the right balance of the product’s Appeal, Cost, Technical Feasibility, Reliability and Manufacturability. The Product Designer is part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for brainstorming concepts, sketching, prototyping mockups, participating in design critiques, refining design directions and finalizing design details.
As an advocate for the user through the full development process you will optimize the usability of RI’s products to enable clinicians to conduct procedures efficiently, minimizing complications and improve patient’s safety and overall outcome.
• Involved in research in clinical environments to identify spoken and unspoken user needs
• Engage in generative design research with contextual inquiries, ethnographic research and create research related design deliverables (experience maps, prototypes, user profiles/personas, workflows, etc.)
• Translation of identified needs into product design concepts
• Storytelling through words and imagery and capable of developing stunning product renderings using appropriate design tools
• Rationalize the identified needs as a commercial/product opportunity
• Understanding technology, production methods and materials to create inspiring products that brings the clinician closer to the patient
• Prepare presentations the clearly convey the commercial/product opportunity to other stakeholder in the business
• Work with Human Factor Engineer to design and facilitate formative usability evaluations to ensure user interaction requirements are met, and contribute to the verification of medical devices
• Work with Advanced Manufacturing engineers to integrate manufacturing consideration without compromising the design intent of the product
• The applicant must have an affinity for consistency, color use, and a keen eye for subtle details while maintaining the RI standard of quality.
• While exercising a good eye for aesthetics, candidates must be able to grasp and distill highly complex business issues and translate them into clean, focused, understandable solutions on RI products.
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s or post grade degree in a Design related discipline, such as Industrial Design.
• At least 2+ years agency or in-house designer experience.
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications:
• Deadline Orientated
• Ability to synthesizes complex information into simple design solutions
• Strong presentation skills, able to present ideas in a clean, easy to understand format
• Demonstrates a user-empathic approach to design
• Be interested in the way people choose and use products
• Be creative with an eye for shape and color
• Strong research capability and experience
• Understand different materials and manufacturing methods
• Have technical, practical and scientific knowledge and ability
• Strong communication skills and ability to stay highly organized are critical
• Self-starter who takes initiative and drives to solutions across teams
• Multi-tasker who works efficiently under pressure, maintaining focus on the details
• Experienced surface modeler in Rhino, SolidWork or equivalent
• Strong understanding of prototyping techniques and selecting the right technology for the solution being explored
• Team player, understanding that team’s success is directly linked to personal growth and career advancement
• Eager to learn and willingness to share
• New product development experience
Nice to Have:
• Previous experience in medical device development, particularly research experience in clinical environment.
• Business Acumen
• Interpersonal Savvy
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
Please provide a CV and Portfolio of your work through the application website.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.