Schylling Inc. is an award-winning Toy and Gift Company and makers of the original Lava Lamp. For over forty years, Schylling has specialized in creating timeless toys and innovative gifts with appeal to consumers of all ages. Our company is located in the beautiful and historic East Mill in North Andover, MA.
We have an immediate opportunity for an experienced, self-motivated Product Development Director to lead our growing design team. This key position will be responsible for all aspects of product development for our Schylling and Lava Lamp brands.
The ideal candidate is a highly organized, strategic thinker with demonstrated experience managing designers in the on-time delivery of innovative products and lines. Applicants should have a minimum 10 years of experience and proven successes in product design and management of design teams within the toy industry.
About the Job
• Lead all aspects of Product Development from product strategy, ideation, design execution to final production.
• Manage Product Design team of 5+ designers in the development of innovative products and lines that build on our core strengths and deliver sales growth.
• Lead design team through all stages of product development, from concept creation, through design execution and into production.
• Partner with Management, Sales and Operations to ensure products and lines are relevant for customer base and deliver to defined market and business opportunities.
• Oversee product development schedules to ensure on-time delivery of products and catalogs.
• Direct oversight and design execution of marketing materials including trade show displays, website, catalogs and promotional materials.
• Communicate effectively with overseas manufacturing partners and oversee designers’ communications to ensure development goals are clearly understood and achieved.
• Work collaboratively with Art Director in the development of packaging and graphic concepts and/or final turnover art.
• Develop and improve processes for managing development schedules and product approvals.
All Applicants will have:
• Demonstrated experience leading a design team in the development of products in the toy or children’s product category.
• Creative thinker with the capacity to generate innovative concepts and the discipline to develop those concepts into strategic and market relevant products.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Possess an entrepreneurial spirit with a business orientated mindset.
• Excel in a fast paced environment with a small team.
• Passion for toys and children’s products is essential to be effective in the role.
• Strong knowledge and interest of toy industry trends, leading brands, products, and what’s emerging.
Job Requirements and Skills:
• BA or BS in Toy Design, Industrial Design.
• +10 years of professional design/product development and design team management experience with a toy or children’s products company.
• Experience with daily manufacturing partner communication.
• Proficient in all phases of design process – preliminary, development and production.
• Strong visual, written and verbal communication skills.
• Have an ability to keep up with new creative trends.
• Must possess knowledge of industry standard design software.
• Action oriented, self-motivated professional with commercial awareness.
• Able to manage multiple projects in various stages simultaneously with excellent time and project management skills.
• Confident in collating presentation materials together and using relevant software such as PowerPoint, with experience in all Microsoft Office platforms.
What we offer:
• Competitive salary and consideration for annual bonus incentives.
• Medical, dental, vision, matching 401K, flexible spending plans, company paid life insurance, paid time off and product discounts.
• A chance to grow in a progressive environment.
Do you fit this profile? If you are interested in helping us build for the future, please send your resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com