The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is a non-profit membership organization that serves the needs of tree care professionals, and promotes the profession of arboriculture around the world. ISA is known as the industry authority on research, education and professional development. Each role in the organization plays an important part in delivering excellent member benefits and customer service.
ISA strives to deliver best-in-class educational materials that support the tree care industry and promote the professional practice of arboriculture. The Learning Product Developer (LPD) works with the product development team to produce learning and training materials for ISA’s members, customers and credential holders.
The LPD will work with staff and SMEs to design, develop, and implement educational and learning materials, for online and classroom settings (self-paced and/or instructor-led,) and supporting materials following an instructional design process (traditional and agile). The LPD will work with the staff and volunteer SMEs to identify target demographics, relevant educational resources, and potential delivery mechanisms.
The LPD is responsible for transforming scripted and storyboarded content into interactive, visually impressive online learning content comprised of graphic design, animation, video and interactive games and quizzes. This position will involve creating visuals, animations and videos to support learning experiences. It will also directly handle all post-production editing, including creation and addition of graphics, interactive elements, and other visuals to support online adult learning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Understands ISA’s mission statement and adheres to organization core values.
• Works with EPS team and Committees to develop products based on identified arboricultural educational needs.
• Applies tested instructional design theories, practices, and methods. This includes traditional waterfall (ADDIE) methodology as well as agile methodologies (SAM).
• Implements instructional design projects, from inception to completion, and maintains files and records.
• Collaborates in the development of instructional strategies, assessment techniques, appropriate integration of instructional technologies and best practices.
• Researches and makes recommendations on educational best practices, instructional resources, instructional technologies and multimedia hardware/software to support teaching and learning.
• Tracks and measures the learning effectiveness of each module and/or training program and improves as needed.
• As part of the design process, outlines the concept for a course or curriculum, defining needs for the course medium, content delivery, assessments, accompanying materials, and complementary learning approaches.
• Works with SMEs to define objectives for the course and/or curriculum.
• Works with the Learning Product Developments team to draft screen layouts, scripts, graphics and interactions appropriate to the content.
• Participate in agile learning design meetings and activities to create prototypes and subsequent testing and improvement cycles.
• Designs learning exercises and activities that enhance knowledge transfer and retention.
• Designs and develops interactive exercises, and publishes content for e-learning courses. Coordinates project development and maintains relationships with subject-matter experts, photo and content providers, contractors, and ISA volunteers.
• Manages podcast and webinar development, including video podcasts (schedules interviews, records, edits, and publishes podcast series online).
• Collaborates with Learning Product Development team to create prototypes of learning assets and interactive activities during agile learning design process.
• Creates visuals to support scripted content, with a mix of audio, app, slides, and on-screen delivery.
• Handles post-production editing, including creation and addition of graphics, interactive elements, and other visuals to support online adult learning.
• Acquires licensed music for use in all productions.
• Recommends acquisition, installation and maintenance of video/audio equipment and provides staff training as necessary.
• Collaborate with EPS team to create visuals for publications and e-publications.
• Contributes to the redesign of existing learning products and publications, including drawings, visual communication elements, and style.
• Collaborates with EPS Director and team to determine the criteria used to evaluate learners’ performance and develops assessment instruments.
• Completes various training, project management, and administrative tasks as needed.
• Supports training needs for, volunteers, and component executives as needed.
• Keeps up-to-date on learning tools, trends, and ideas.
• Maintains project documentation and course folders.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Requires an Associate’s or Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) in instructional design, instructional technology, educational technology, or a related field of study, 2 years’ experience in instructional design and development work, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of adult education principles, policies, and practices.
• Demonstrated skills designing assessments and simulations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of learning theory, instructional strategies, curriculum standards, and assessments.
• Experience producing occupational and competency analyses.
• Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Fluency in additional languages is a plus.
• Solid verbal communication and interpersonal skills and a service-oriented attitude are required.
• Must possess excellent English writing and communication skills (grammatically correct and professional tone).
• Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio scripts/video scripts.
• Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others, both written and spoken.
Decision Making/Reasoning Ability
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
• Ability to draw conclusions from research and needs assessments.
• Apply current research and theory to the practice of instructional design.
• Ability to look beyond the standard solutions.
• Ability to think in terms of abstract ideas.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies and software tools.
• High level of attention to detail.
• Self-motivation with an ability to work effectively within a team environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills in both customer and team interactions.
• Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
• Moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
• Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
• Frequently communicates with internal and external customers.
• This position requires occasional lifting, under 25 lbs.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
• Work may require occasional travel.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Technology and Equipment
• Office 365
• Visual design skills
• Experience using Articulate Storyline or other e-learning authoring or development software required.
• Working knowledge of audio and video editing software is required.
• Knowledge of various camera technologies including Drones and remote cameras is a plus.
• Graphics/photo editing skills are required.
• Familiarity with Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite products is preferred.
• Working knowledge of HTML, XML, and CSS is a plus.
• Basic app development knowledge is a plus.
• Experience using and/or managing content in a learning management system is a plus.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.