Owner and Product Designer-Builder
Oct 2015 - Present (6 years 3 months)
Designing and building custom furniture and cabinetry. Recent projects include a Murphy bed with storage, a kitchen, bedroom furniture, an adjustable sit/stand laptop platform made of wood and metal.
Technical Writer II
Jan 2013 - Oct 2015 (2 years 9 months)
• Technical writing: Write and revise lightning test reports, adhering to corporate quality
guidelines, and correlating with customer, commercial, and/or military test standards.
• Collaboration with engineers, technicians, and customers to ensure reports accurately
and appropriately represent test requirements and results. Chosen to support a fiveweek
project in Munich, Germany.
• VBA programming for document automation: Cut report production time in half by
implementing MS Word template functionality and VBA programming in Word and Excel.
• Report production streamlining: Built a library of over 20 templates that cover almost
all tests performed at LTI. Continually revising and upgrading templates to improve
usability and clarity.
Product Designer and Inventor, Origami Shades
Jun 2010 - Jun 2015 (5 years)
• Patentee: Patent for origami-based shades and design method issued June 2010.
• Prototyping and custom products: Have made numerous prototype shades for
customers. Currently developing equipment for manufacturing mass-customized
Jul 2012 - Oct 2012 (3 months)
• Plastic injection mold design: SolidWorks 2012 user with experience in top-down
design, Excel-driven parametric part files, BOM templates.
• Database programming: Designed and implemented MS Access database for project,
quote, and customer data management. Designed user interface (UI) for ease and
speed of data access.
• Website management: Planned sitemap, advised on site design and implementation,
and wrote all copy. Organized keyword lists, SEO optimization, and outside listings for
Note: Company did not have enough incoming design work to justify a full time designer.
Owner and Product Designer-Builder
Feb 2007 - Jul 2012 (5 years 5 months)
• Ergonomic product design: Designed furniture using Google SketchUp and
SolidWorks to satisfy complex design criteria including form, fit, function, and cost.
• Customer relations: Negotiated all furniture and cabinetry projects from start to finish
including budget, timeline, design, and renegotiating based on project scope changes.
• Contractor management: Communicated and coordinated project timelines and
technical details with subcontractors and architects.
• Design conceptualization: Created a line of hardwood furniture suited to city
apartments based on multi-functionality and folding features.
• Product manufacturing: Oversaw production of wood furniture and window shades.
Competent and safe operation and maintenance of machinery.
Finney Learning Systems
New York, NY
May 1994 - Jul 2007 (13 years 2 months)
• Author: 5 manuals, including Microsoft Access 2007 Intermediate and Advanced.
• Technical writer and co-author: Wrote and produced 17 software training manuals.
• Editor: Responsible for verifying/proofing instructional content.
• Desktop publishing and production: Ventura 10, graphics, and press coordination.
College Point, NY
Jun 2006 - Jan 2007 (7 months)
• Ergonomic product design: Mass customization of steel ergonomic office furniture;
designed custom products and prototypes.
• Project management: Managed a $400,000 supply contract with Brookdale Hospital,
Brooklyn, NY, including site visits to recommend product, verify location layout plans,
and negotiate with the customer. Designed and managed production of 7 prototype
carts for Immersion Medical’s LapVR laparoscopy training simulation device.
• Tech support: Provided product support by phone and email to 15-person sales staff.
Freelance Custom Furniture Design
New York, NY
Aug 2003 - May 2006 (2 years 9 months)
• Custom furniture design: Freelance work for private customers.
• Intellectual Property: Researched, wrote, illustrated and prosecuted (filed & defended)
US Utility Patent No. 7730925 for origami-based window shades and design method.
Feb 2000 - Aug 2003 (3 years 6 months)
• Product design: Assisted interior and product designer Kevin Walz in ideation, design
refinement, prototyping, and production of furniture and consumer products.
Used AutoCAD 2000 in 2D and 3D for drawings and renderings.
• Fabrication/manufacturing: Researched fabrication resources, communicated with
fabricators including factory visits, and resolved production issues in Italian and English.
• Management and marketing: Managed and implemented all aspects of international
trade shows including coordination of production, logistics, staffing, marketing and
sales, display design, and interfacing with the public.
Irene Ferri Design
May 1999 - Sep 1999 (4 months)
• Production: Modern furniture design, fabrication, finishing, and installation.