Final product The helmet has received a RedDot Award 2018
Design process During the design process I was the main responsible designer. The process was very optimal. During ideation we sketched, prototyped (paper / cart-board / tape / tie-wraps) and brainstormed with a team of designers (2-3). Several iteration sessions took place and this lead us to several (3) working principles and basises for design.
Design sketch Upon the chosen working principle a design was created. Aim was to have a restrained and simple design that also fits the dynamic world of cycling and in-line skating. Our approach was to add some character lines on the main surface. Inspired by the new Volvo V60 (2013)
Rendering One of the main renders prior to the prototyping and engineering phase (made by me in Keyshot)
Surface modelling We were very picky on the quality of our G2-surfaces (curvature continuous / automotive) we and decided to build the main surface in Autodesk Alias Surface modelling. These surfaces where then exported into SolidWorks to do the final engineering. We found a working principle to stay flexible within the combination of 2 (hard-core) modelling softwares. This because the helmet also had to be DIN tested and probably had to be changed in the core shape pretty late into the project.
I was responsible for all the surface modelling and engineering, including prototyping and guiding into production.
FOT A First Out of Tool -sample. We were very happy with how we managed to maintain the integrity of the initial concept design