Graphic Designer, Web Designer, Committee Member
Ottawa Architecture Week
Apr 2014 - Present (7 years 2 months)
A proud volunteer and member of the executive committee for the 5th annual not-for-profit festival celebrating the role of architecture and design in the Ottawa region.
This week-long festival is curated in partnership with the Ottawa Regional Society of Architects(ORSA) and sponsored in part by the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA).
Edward's primary role is to establish the festival's visual identity and address brand continuity in future festival editions.
• Logo and identity
• Complete web site design and development ( http://ottawaarchitectureweek.com/ )
• Magazine ad (Herd Magazine, 6th edition, 2014)
• Promotional material (posters, business cards etc.)
J.L. Richards & Associates Limited
Aug 2009 - Present (11 years 10 months)
As an Intern Architect with the firm Edward is involved in all stages of the design process, from project proposals and preliminary design through to contract administration.
At J.L. Richards, Edward has gained experience in design, document preparation and coordination of multidisciplinary team projects. His project experience ranges from interior space planning and renovation exercises to collaboration with integrated project design and delivery.
Edward takes advantage of various innovative digital and analogue representation techniques to design and test the built environment whilst further engaging clients. He is often involved with urban design and environmentally sensitive projects.
• Architectural design (schematic design, design development, contract drawings)
• Program development
• Feasibility studies
• Contract administration
• Material sourcing
• Cost analysis
• CAD drafting
• 3D computer modelling
• Computer rendering
• Hiring and coordinating outsourced computer modelling and rendering work
• Writing, editing and designing visual presentations
• Carrying out of presentations
• Writing and editing published material (media and corporate outreach)
• Graphic design
• Material selection
• Custom furniture design
Software in daily use:
Projects in which Edward played a key role:
• Utilities Kingston - Kingston Hydro ― Lead designer of new high end 4 storey head office and existing shop facility renovations, Kingston, ON ($18M 40,000ft²) LEED Silver
• Napanee Power Generation Station, TransCanada ― New power plant comprised of 9 buildings, Napanee, ON ($130M)
• Correctional Service Canada ― Regional headquarters, Kingston ON ($11.5M, 26,000ft²)
• Southwest Transitway Extension ― Baseline Station and Centrepointe master plan, Ottawa, ON ($20M)
• Kingston Public Works Services Department ― New 2 storey head office, Kingston, ON ($8.6M, 25,000ft²)
Carleton University Immersive Media Studio (CIMS Lab)
Oct 2004 - Jul 2009 (4 years 9 months)
As a researcher took upon multiple responsibilities:
- Architectural simulation (Utilizing Blender's game engine and Xbox gaming controllers)
- Graphic design
- 3D computer modelling
- 3D Animation
- Adobe Flash animation
- Photo manipulation (Adobe Photoshop)
- Illustration (Adobe Illustrator)
- Video editing
- CAD drafting
- and otherwise utilizing tools such as: Autodesk Maya, AutoCAD, Revit, Google SketchUp, Adobe Premiere.
(Intermittent contractual employment with majority of work done between October 2004 — December 2005 and May 2009 — July 2009)
Mar 2007 - Apr 2007 (1 month)
Assisted with the K.I.N.G residential community project masterplan in Kazakhstan, and taking on the tasks of:
- Visual presentation,
- 3D computer rendering, and
- Schematic design
Battaglia Architect Inc.
Jun 2004 - Aug 2005 (1 year 2 months)
Was responsible for design, visual presentation, drafting, detailing, and collaborating with clients and industry trades.
Took part and handled independently small new residential projects and medium sized retail renovations.
(Summer position spanning the summer months of years 2004 and 2005)
Kosmik Komply ( Annual Art and Music Festival)
Jun 2004 - Oct 2004 (4 months)
Responsible for visual identity of a music event hosting multiple music acts, painters, slam poets and dancers and entertaining an audience of 300+ people.
Managed a team of 20+ individuals to design and assemble the event's decorations, backdrops, and lighting for the various event rooms and exhibits, while promoting collaboration and continuity.
Also carried out the design of:
- Event webpage (Design and backend)
- Flyers (Offset printing and embossing)
- Printed bags
All merchandise was sold-out in advance of the event and the event returned profit.
HCA Architecture Incorporated Architects
Jun 2004 - Aug 2004 (2 months)
Collaborated on schematic design, 3D computer modelling, CAD drafting, and assembling printed presentation brochures for client review.
Worked on on large private residential projects, hotel renovations, and new residential condo development.