Jan 2013 - Present (8 years 4 months)
Lead Industrial Designer
Jan 2012 - Present (9 years 4 months)
• Providing freelance design services to a start-up company.
• Responsible for the design of innovative beverage vessels to improve product value for consumers by focusing on aesthetic and physical interaction issues.
• Collaboratively working with other design, engineering and business stakeholders to develop the products, the branding, and all other supporting components of the company’s initiative.
• Producing CAD models and physical prototypes to evaluate concept solutions.
• Working with manufacturers to refine part geometry for pre-production efforts.
Tim Haats Design
Sep 2012 - Apr 2013 (7 months)
• Providing industrial design services to various clients looking to turn their ideas into usable, interactively and aesthetically pleasing products.
• Working closely with clients to establish objectives and requirements, and to conceptualize their ideas in accordance with such requirements.
Carleton University & Yonsei University
Jun 2012 - Jun 2012
Cross-cultural Design Creativity Workshop
• Developed, organized, and conducted one of the workshop activities which aided in the dissemination of various design creativity techniques and provided the participants with a positive experience while using such methods.
• Presented concepts and research findings which informed the workshop
stakeholders of specific collaborative methods used to facilitate design creativity.
• Provided general assistance in the development of the workshop activities which resulted in an improvement of the workshop and the associated research efforts.
Sep 2010 - Apr 2012 (1 year 7 months)
• Provided teaching support for second-year mass production technologies, third-year design studio, and fourth-year major design studios which resulted in better learning and improved project outcomes for the students.
• Assisted with various logistical tasks and the grading of projects, assignments, quizzes, and exams which allowed the professors to spend more time focusing on important, valuable teaching efforts.
• Conducted meetings and tutorial sessions with the students which helped guide appropriate project decisions and aided in understandings of the design process.
Industrial Designer / CAD Assistant
Jul 2011 - Sep 2011 (2 months)
• Provided assistance for various CAD modeling projects, using Rhino software.
• Generated concept ideas for a Laser Pegs development project which provided alternative directions for the company's consideration.
• Produced patent drawings for the ViraDynamX Aret’tso sling bag which improved visual communication and understanding for patent viewers.
Industrial Designer / Interaction Designer
Ace Sensor Inc.
Jun 2011 - Sep 2011 (3 months)
• Collaborated with two other industrial designers to design a system of home-healthcare products - including a weight scale, pedometer, access point/router, and website, as well as product/company branding - which resulted in a holistic conceptual design solution for an MIT start-up technology project.
• Engaged in client meetings throughout the process to present progressive design concepts and to discuss business and technological requirements which improved project efficiency.
• Designed a visual user interface for the website component with a focus on data visualization which improved the understanding and accessibility of user data.
• Developed information architectures which aided in the appropriation of page elements and the organization of such elements.
Sep 2009 - Oct 2010 (1 year 1 month)
• Provided assistance for the development of the book “Prototyping and Modelmaking for Product Design” by Bjarki Hallgrimsson.
• Conducted research, design, planning, and communications of model types, materials and processes which improved the book’s content quality and clarity.
• Produced specific models and prototypes of various materials and processes while photo-documenting the activities for step-by-step tutorials to aid in the comprehension and education of diverse readers.
• Engaged in collaborative discussions revolving around research methods and planning which resulted in a more appropriate and thorough approach to the book’s development.
Special Projects Technician / Industrial Designer
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources - Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services
May 2009 - Aug 2009 (3 months)
• Designed a new testing tank to enhance the utility and efficiency of the testing process for the power pumps used during forest fire suppression, from research through to prototype fabrication drawings.
• Conducted observations, focus groups, and interviews with fire fighters and maintenance technicians to understand how the existing test tanks were used.
• Produced visual job-aid posters that improved the maintenance of the power pumps and chainsaws for both the mechanics and the fire fighters.
• Conducted various research and testing procedures for a battery-powered lamp and created a document which provided data for research and development.
Systems Engineer Assistant
ELCAN Optical Technologies
Jun 2008 - Aug 2008 (2 months)
• Designed bonding fixtures which improved assembly quality and production numbers for lens and prism filters for various optical products.
• Assisted engineers in the design and building of lens-centering machines that provided operators greater ease of use and improved centering accuracy.
• Produced CAD models from old hand-drawn part drawings providing up-to-date digital files for database accessibility.