- + Follow
Jonathan C. Smith
Sr. Industrial Designer | MARS Petcare N.A.
I am a results oriented Industrial Designer. I have worked in both the corporate and consultancy environment. My passion for delivering solutions that exceed the customer's expectations is what brought me into the field of Design. I have worked both autonomously and in a team environment. I am outgoing and genuinely interested in people and their perspectives. I strive to enter a challenging environment where I can develop solutions that move in the market place.
IGLOO - Cap and Closure
IGLOO - Packaging Development
CRAFTSMAN - Research to Final Model
Exponent Fitness™ is launching its first product, The Spyder 360™ in 2013. The Spyder 360™ is designed to give you more for less, to keep you moving and engage your core unlike any other fitness instrument developed to date.
::: Mission :::
To bring value to the fitness minded consumer and to enrich the human experience through fitness, nutrition and variety. EXPONENT FITNESS | Raising the Power of Fitness™ with its first product The Spyder 360™
::: Description :::
The Spyder 360™ was designed alongside consumers from all walks of life. From personal trainers and therapists to first time gym goers and more advanced fitness enthusiasts. The Spyder 360™ was engineered to virtually eliminate the plateau effect.
• Use Design Thinking to develop Packaging, Kibble, and Care & Treats solutions for unrecognized consumer needs.
• Utilize my observational skills to conduct internal and external focus groups, interpersonal skills to manage outside
suppliers, and my communication skills to lead internal educational efforts to champion Design Thinking internally.
• Translate unmet consumer and retailer needs into tangable 2D & 3D sketches, renderings, & physical prototypes.
• Provide support for: Packaging and Product R&D, Commercial, Marketing, Engineering, and Sales.
• Leverage vendors strengths to fill gaps in our process and capabilities while building strong partnerships.
• Manage 3 prototyping machines - Objet Connex 500, Z-Corp Z-510, and Dimensions Elite.
Design Exposed is a blog that serves to bring visitors insight into the processes and imaginations of the designers who develop and design world class products. On designexposed.com visitors will find articles that highlight a designers processes of discovery and sketch development or what led to inspire the visual form language of a product line.
• Market Research; Ethnographic, Observational, Mall Intercepts, Product Demonstration
• Insight Translation; Sketches, Written Distillation, Digital & Physical Prototypes
• Product Concept Evaluation; In-Home Usage Trials, Online Surveys,
• Product Development Coordination; Domestic & International Manufacturing, Quality Assurance Testing
• Packaging Development; Competitive Assessment, Design & Engineering, Laboratory Testing & Analysis
• Concept, Develop, Review and refine fellow designer’s concepts, evaluate feasibility of design ideas, based on factors such as appearance, safety, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods, and market characteristics.
• Co-ordinate with sales, engineering, and prototyping model shop in the creation of product concepts.
• Review and target needed changes for cost reduction, efficiency programs.
• Create sales materials/advertisements for magazines
• Design and develop POS/POP/Interactive displays for upcoming “Dark Phones” @ Motorola.
• Critiqued and refined vendors design concepts.
• Assisted and co-managed Chinese and Israeli vendors in production level prototypes.
• Built design department around 3D cad tools and implemented ID design process.
• Evaluated design ideas based on factors such as appealing appearance, design-function relationships, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, price, production costs, methods of production, market characteristics, and client specifications.
• Met with engineering, marketing, and sales to outline product needs and develop design briefs.
• Assisted in ethnographic and generative research to discover new needs.
• Integrated discoveries into sketch concepts product solutions for internal (HEFTY) and external clients (McDonalds, Noodles and Co., Panda Express, Sara Lee, Wendy’s, Pizza Hut).
• Designed prototype match molds and ran samples on in-house thermoforming machines.
• Hand built product samples using wood shop, hand tools, and found materials.
• Traveled to manufacturing facilities to run production samples, work on cost reduction measures, and document production quality of product samples (internal audits).
• Researched and presented alternative materials for green/eco considerations and cost reduction.
• Design with the brand in mind, keeping the continuity of appearance and reducing the SKU count for interchangeability and cost efficiency.
:: 2001 - 2002 Study Abroad in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and London. :: Schools Attended :: :: National College of Art and Design - Dublin Ireland - http://www.ncad.ie/ :: Burren College of Art - Ballyvaughan - http://www.burrencollege.ie/ :: Sligo Institute of Technology - Sligo Ireland - http://www.itsligo.ie/ :: Ulster University, Magee College - Belfast Northern Ireland - http://www.ulster.ac.uk/campus/magee/ :: Glasgow School of Art - Glasgow Scotland - http://www.gsa.ac.uk/ :: While attending Auburn University I also pursued my interests in Fine Art, Psychology, and Graphic Design.