Arthur is a 3rd year PhD researcher at the Loughborough Design School, Loughborough University. His PhD topic is an investigation into the relationship between academic's and practitioners' theories of design thinking.
CasaLuma UG Light and Design
Design work for Lutheran Secondary School HK
- Casa Luma UG Light & Design Germany
- Niederdorla, Germany
- 2009 - 2012 (3 years)
• Developed LED furniture concepts for production feasibility and market research studies
• Developed new furniture and investigated the possibility of using new manufacturing technique.
Freelance graphic designer
- ELCHK Lutheran Secondary School
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Jun 2010 - Aug 2010 (2 months)
• Redesigned the school’s stationary and souvenirs to be a more brand-orientated manner.
• Redesigned and updated the school’s stationary and souvenirs to ensure the consistency of school branding on them.
Peer Assist Learning (PAL) Leader
- University of the West of England
- Bristol, United Kingdom
- Aug 2008 - Jul 2009 (11 months)
• Helped 1st year students to adjust into University life, improve study habits and enhance their understanding towards the subject matter of the course, or a course unit through group sessions.
• Helped 1st year students to improved or maintained academic standards in the module.
- Goods of Desire Ltd
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Jun 2008 - Aug 2008 (2 months)
• Took part in many in house and external design projects individually or in a team. Project disciplines include: branding, product design, graphic design along with shop display and environment design.
• Timely delivery of design objectives set by clients and the internal design team.
• Part of the team that redesign and rebranded a Hong Kong shopping mall’s food court. I was responsible for communicating and organising external contractors’ jobs and ensure the tasks are finished on time and ensure the quality of their work is up to the clients’ and G.O.D’s standards.
• Part of the team that successfully redesigned RSPCA Hong Kong’s dog adoption centre. The redesign helped increase public awareness and media coverage for the charity.
• Product development for kitchenware.
• Reverse engineered vintage furniture for batch production in China.
- PhD Researcher Design
- 2011 - 2014
PhD topic: Investigating the contrast in understanding/ application of design thinking from academic and commercial perspectives. The aim of my PhD: To identify the possible knowledge gap that exists between academics’ and practitioners’ theories of design thinking. The outcome my PhD research might be the use of its findings to improve the articulation of academic and practitioner theories. Mapping these on to each other would reveal differences in the conceptions of design thinking, the characteristics embodied by particular groups and changes in emphasis. For more details please visit my research website, www.lborodtresearch.co.uk
- MSc Product Design in Business Design and Business
- 2010 - 2011
Modules taken: Design Communication Skills, Design Practice, Product Commercialisation1 & 2, Research Methods for Design Ergonomics, Major Project Research and Feasibility, Major Design Project
University of the West of England
- 2:1 BSc Creative Product Design Design
- 2007 - 2010
Final year modules: Design Studio 5, Design in Business, Solid CAD Modeling, Individual Project (Product Design) Transcript available upon reques