- + Follow
Creative Director - Brand Director - Visual Director
San Francisco, CA
Creative Director with expertise in brand marketing, seasonal retail marketing, fashion branding and promotions, packaging, product design, licensing, and events. Successfully providing brand appropriate solutions to be communicated among multi-platforms. In-depth experience at developing creative teams, agency procurement, and building outside resources. Versatile manager, able to direct and mentor different teams as well as be hands on. Enjoys innovation and creative challenges.
Photo Art Direction
JOSEPH ABBATI Creative Direction
• Over 10 years experience in the branding and marketing of 3 Fortune 100 brands.
• Ability to develop and direct diverse teams among multi-channels for brand right solutions.
• Team oriented. Enjoy working with others to align goals strategically.
• Prioritizes and balances time, actions, resources, and initiatives to ensure accomplishment of critical results.
• Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity.
• Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities.
• Combines experience, insights, and information to determine how to best exceed needs.
• Strives to challenge the status quo to deliver more compelling marketing messages.
• An early adapter, always looking for new ways of doing things.
DIRECTOR DESIGN, WALMART STORES INC., BENTONVILLE, AR OCOTBER 2008-PRESENT
• Brand Design Director working to leverage the assets of the Walmart brand,
• Expanded the new brand identity throughout the business.
• Partnered with agencies to bring correct brand direction in photography.
• Worked in developing “Company Store” design and branding of Home Office.
• Designed Seasonal Marketing programs and packaging for in-store creative.
• Developed creative seasonal product ideas for holiday, summer, Valentines, etc.
CONSULTANT, JOSEPH ABBATI CREATIVE, SAN FRANCISCO, CA, JAN. 2007-OCT. 2008
• Provided brand right marketing solutions to be communicated among multi-platforms.
• Brand identity strategist who leveraged brand assets to deliver solutions
• Partnered with California Alliance to Stop The Spray and designed all marketing collateral which led to the successful halt to aerial spraying.
• Guest speaker at Art Institute of San Francisco for courses in "Marketing Strategies" and "Photo Art Direction".
CREATIVE DIRECTOR BRAND MARKETING, JCPENNEY, PLANO TX, MAY 2005-OCTOBER 2007
• Director of Creative for Brand Marketing collateral for all JCPenney stores.
• Directed creative strategy for a team of photo art directors, art directors, and designers for brand-right seasonal concepts and packaging projects.
• Teamed with Creative Advertising, Direct (internet), Store Environment, Merchant Teams, and Trend on all visual campaigns to ensure a consistent message.
• Established standardized guides to communicate the brand point of view across multi-platforms.
SR. CREATIVE MANAGER, TARGET CORP./MERVYN’S, APRIL 1999-OCTOBER 2004
• Directed creative for In-Store Experience marketing team for all of Mervyn’s stores. This team is comprised of In-Store Graphics, Packaging, and Innovations.
• Managed the development of new private label brands and updates for soft and hard lines.
• Directed and mentored a team of art directors, designers, visual stylists and outside agencies for seasonal concepts.
• Teamed with Licensing, Print Creative, Promotions, Merchant Teams, Trend, and Special Events on all seasonal campaigns.
• Traveled nationally and internationally to keep current with merchandise and visual trends and provide competitive audits and presentations.
ART DIRECTION/DESIGN, JOSEPH ABBTI DESIGN, SAN FRANCISCO, CA, 1989-1999
• Led the way in desktop publishing during the infancy of this new field.
• Art directed and designed marketing collateral and packaging for a variety of clients that included: Northface, Todd Oldham Jeans, Cherokee, Pacific Trail, and Generra,
• Teamed with marketing groups to develop print advertising, web, and interactive pages.
• Pioneered digital photo art direction for magazines such as Parenting and Mac World.
• Communication Arts 1996 Honorable Mention for Art Direction in Advertising.
San Francisco State University
Academy of Art
* RAC Awards 2003 (Department Stores Winner).
* Communication Arts 1996 Honorable Mention for Art Direction in Advertising.