- + Follow
james | arthur | young | design
My passion is designing exceptionally functional and beautiful products. I am searching for opportunities that empower that pursuit and teams that challenge and inspire me to excellence.
Drawings & Renderings
Exhibits & Interiors
10 years designing consumer products & professional equipment in both
consulting and corporate environments. I have collaborated with multiple
clients, engineers, researchers, and product managers through all phases of the design cycle from early concept presentations to final manufacturing details.
Western Washington University - B.S. Industrial Design 1997
Proficient in all traditional ID skills including: marker rendering, pen sketching, foamcore building, foam sculpting, algenate & bondo casting, vac forming, and wood and metal fabrication. Veteran user of Microsoft Office & Project.
• Advanced modeling & surfacing skills in Pro/E & SolidWorks. (10+ years experience)
• Experience working with component assemblies & manipulating production models
• Built production models for injection molding, die casting, and sheet metal stamping
• Solid 2D drafting and part documentation in all CAD packages
• Professional experience doing packaging, advertising, product, and exhibit graphics.
• Intuitive icons and user interface elements for software products
• Excellent logo & identity work with emphasis on developing brand communication
• Outstanding presentations in print, PowerPoint, and other digital media.
• Excellent sketching and ideation in any media (computer or hand illustration)
• Superior illustration techniques using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
• Advanced computer rendering skills using 3D Studio Max and PhotoWorks
• Able to create photo-realistic product renderings for advertising & product catalogs
• Produced advanced ergonomic studies for hardware control systems & seating
• Experience using anthropometric data and building ergonomic evaluation models
Slam Brands Inc. /// Senior Designer & ID Manager /// 2007-2008
Consumer products & entertainment furniture design for large retailers such as Target, Wal-Mart, & Costco. Managed ID department guiding work from sales to production, managing timelines, building presentations, interfacing with China engineering, and mentoring Jr. Designers.
Teague /// Senior Industrial Designer ///2006-2007
Advanced ergonomic & anthropometric research, design, and mock-up for a military control system and seating. Conceptual work for commercial aircraft interiors. Design for build coordination of several major interior mock-ups.
Sane Wave, Inc. /// Director of Industrial Design /// 2005-2006
Directed day to day operations of the ID department including interfacing with clients and engineering, preparing presentations, coordinating prototype parts, building software interfaces, and working on in-house product development.
Loud Technologies /// Senior Industrial Designer /// 2000-2005
Designed industry leading professional and consumer audio equipment working closely with engineering and product managers to reach design goals. Developed ergonomic evaluations, prototypes, color studies, and visual branding boards to meet industrial design goals. Coordinated overseas vendors & manufacturers to meet price & delivery deadlines. Hired and managed contractors and vendors. Mentored and trained junior
designers and new hires. Established myself as lead designer in the department.
Synsor/DesignLine /// Industrial Designer /// 1999-2000
Designed award winning branded interiors, fixtures, kiosks, exhibits, and graphics. Presented proposals and interfaced directly with high profile clients such as Money Tree, REI, Carnival Cruise Line, AT&T, Costco, Sonosite, & Physio Control.
Western Washington University
Western Washington University