- + Follow
Accomplished innovation manager with a proven ability to deliver innovative products and services that meet business and financial objectives. Have led key strategic initiatives for NIKE that generated over $1B in sales. Recognized as one who can capture and communicate the “critical idea”.
Respected leader able to build highly motivated teams focused on achieving revenue and brand goals. Works well across functions, aligning resources for maximum business impact.
John C Tawney
2125 SW 111th Pl
Portland, OR 97225
Delivering Innovation at the junction of engineering, business, and design.
Lead the creation, development, and utilization of breakthrough consumer products and services to propel a business beyond its competition.
Areas of expertise
* Identifying Opportunity. Strategic targeting and balancing to create a portfolio that drives growth.
* Creating Innovation. Generate, evaluate, and develop solutions that deliver market leading value.
* Exploiting Innovation. Translate innovation into marketable and sustainable business opportunities.
* Developing Talent. Identify and mentor innovation talent within an organization.
Notable Innovation Results
Introduced in 2000, NIKE SHOX continues to be a market leading product innovation utilized by the majority of Nike footwear categories.
Role: Invented, developed, and led the transition of this technology from R&D into the footwear product categories.
Launched in 1999, NIKEiD delivered innovation into the retail space by allowing consumers to customize their own Nike products. NIKEiD continues today to be an integral part of Nike’s brand strategy.
Role: As co-founder, responsibilities included consumer marketing, on-line experience, product customization, external/internal retail partners, and overall branding of this innovative retail service.
Leveraging innovative manufacturing techniques found in the automotive interiors industry, Nike Foamposite technology was, introduced in 1997 and has developed into an entire line of "POSITE" basketball product that continues today.
Role: Invented and led the development of this technology from R&D into overseas manufacturing operations and footwear business units.
Director, Advanced Concepts
ROFU Design, Portland, OR 2011 - Present
* Generated and executed innovation strategy for Keen footwear
* Identified and developed multiple game changing product platforms
* Interfaced with overseas and domestic manufacturing
* Team leadership, staff development, and mentoring
Innovation Management / Sabbatical
JCT Design Portland, OR 2005 - 2011
* Independent consultant providing product and retail innovation strategy
* Community volunteer, youth sports coach, board member
Retail Program Manager – NIKE iD.
Nike, Inc. Beaverton, OR 2003 - 2005
* Created and implemented a successful in-store NIKE iD customization service for NIKE Retail.
* Provided the necessary leadership to balance business unit, store, and corporate objectives.
* Managed extensive cross-functional team - IT (hardware and software), facilities, visual merchandising, brand design, sales associates, and store management.
Director – NIKE iD
Nike, Inc. Beaverton, OR 1999 - 2003
* Founded the highly successful and pioneering NIKE iD customization service (www.nikeid.com).
* Responsible for marketing, consumer on-line experience, product customization, external/internal retail partners, and overall branding.
* Managed agencies and internal teams to deliver market-leading customization service.
* Award winning interface - Cannes Cyber Lion Grand Prix (Best of Show), One Show Interactive Golden Pencil, New York Festivals New Media Award Gold World Medal.
* Educated internal teams and assisted with integration of iD across business units.
Program Manager - Advanced Technology Exploration
Nike, Inc. Beaverton, OR 1996 - 1999
* Created and executed strategic innovation portfolios for corporate R&D initiatives.
* Established productive partnerships with external technical and design resources.
* Integrated R&D initiatives with business teams to maximize utilization of solutions.
Product Design Engineer – Advanced Product Engineering
Nike, Inc. Beaverton, OR 1990 – 1996
* Developed strong team relationships with product category teams, external vendors, manufacturing, and internal support groups.
* Invented, developed, and led the transition of new product innovations from R&D into product categories (e.g., Nike Shox, Nike Foamposite, and applications of Nike Air.)
Product Design Engineer – Climate Control Division
Ford Motor Company Dearborn, MI 1986-1990
* Designed interior climate control components.
* Developed engine cooling systems.
Rice University. BS Mechanical Engineering
Houston, Texas 1986
Patents (issued and pending)
5,343,639 Shoe with an improved midsole (NIKE SHOX)
5,353,523 Shoe with an improved midsole (NIKE SHOX)
5,435,959 Method of making a mold and parts from the mold
D364,034 Bladder for a shoe sole
D364,036 Bladder for a shoe sole
5,580,507 Method of making a mold and parts from the mold
5,685,090 Cushioning system for shoe sole and method for making the sole
5,885,500 Method of making an article of footwear (NIKE FOAMPOSITE)
6,298,582 Article of footwear with heel clip
6,402,879 Method of making bladder with inverted edge seam
6,571,490 Bladder with multi-stage regionalized cushioning
20010042321 Bladder with multi-stage regionalized cushioning
7,132,032 Bladder with multi-stage regionalized cushioning
20030183324 Bladder with multi-stage regionalized cushioning
7,244,483 Bladder with inverted edge seam and method of making the bladder
20020139471 Bladder with inverted edge seam and method of making the bladder
20050071242 Method and system for custom-manufacturing footwear (NIKE iD)