- + Follow
Lab126 Amazon - Industrial Design Manager
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
I strive to make deeply satisfying, useful products, I seek to understand why and how to make the complex, simple and pleasurable, and I enjoy thinking about how best to work with people and processes in pursuit of these goals.
My work has been recognised with multiple awards and patents, but nothing quite beats the kick of seeing your product in the hands of a customer.
11.2011 - Current Lab126 (Amazon)
Design Manager in Cupertino
04.2008 - 11.2011 Dell - Industrial Design Manager
Lead for Latitude & Vostro notebook computers, Taipei, Taiwan.
08.2005 - 04.2008 DEM inc, Taipei, Taiwan Head of Industrial Design
Senior management position at Taiwan's highest profile design bureau, leading a team of six designers. Achievements include:
- Developed two Ultra Mobile computers (UMPC) for Intel, steering them from concept to tooling with Taiwanese vendors, and attracting global press coverage at the annual Intel Developer's Forum.
- Designed a range of cell phones for Cellgi, liaised with Chinese suppliers, and directed brand development in China and Taiwan. Worked with Giant Bicycles to productionise carbon fibre parts. Contributed to PR, including TV and press interviews.
- Patents pending for a new cell phone hinge for Inventec, and a folding mechanism for Giant Bicycles.
- Responsible for clients such as Intel, Giant Bicycles and Kuro. Primary contact for international clients, and heavily involved in business development and PR.
05.2004 - 08.2005 Asus Computer, Taipei, Taiwan Industrial Designer
Member of the international design team. Several VoIP products and a new layout for traditional set-top boxes reached the market . Involved in 'futures' development of cell phones and proposed cellular products for the elderly in 2010. Part of the team involved in development of Asus' design philosophy and guidelines for cell phones.
10.2003 - 05.2004 Freelance
Industrial Design; design of safety-critical, drop-forged components for Pyranha Kayaks; product definition of household cleaning products for Reckitt-Benckeiser; product development and packaging design of an energy-saving kettle for Lobo.
02.2003 - 05.2003 IDEO
Research project, in partnership with Cambridge University
IDEO-sponsored project which resulted in development of a digital music player for children, involving a new music distribution model and innovative wireless sharing protocol.
2002-2003 Cambridge University: The Institute for Manufacturing
Advanced Course in Design, Manufacture and Management (ACDMM)
ACDMM is a post graduate course that provides a broad understanding of manufacturing and design; 87 company visits, 8 industrial projects and a tour of the USA.
1998-2002 University of Glasgow & Glasgow School of Art
Product Design Engineering BEng. (First Class, Honours)
PDE integrates Mechanical Engineering and Product Design in a joint course between Glasgow University and the Glasgow School of Art.
1997 - 1998 Pershore College Royal Academy of Engineering, NEBS Management Certificate
1995 - 1997 Hills Road College, Cambridge A - Levels
1990 - 1995 Impington Village College, Cambridge GCSEs
Skills & Attributes
Cross - Cultural Leadership
Leading a team of designers from around the world, and working with global clients has given me huge insight into running a cross-cultural, multi-discipliniary team.
The project at Caparo Steel Works required analysis skills to redesign the furnace's billet delivery system. The system eliminated maintenance shutdown of the line.
The IDEO placement produced a kids' portable music player that encouraged collaborative play and interaction, enabled by Bluetooth. A new music distribution model was proposed.
My degree project addressed the ergonomic and mechanical problems of a keyhole surgery tool. I worked with two surgeons and an ergonomist, and was funded by Scientific Generics
Kokuyo Design Award 2006 - Japan - Special Prize. 'Pencils for Gambling' were selected as one of the winning entrants. The work was featured in Axis magazine
- I am a keen writer, maintaining a blog of my experiences in Asia and contributing monthly technology reviews for the Taipei Times newspaper
- I am a committed mountain biker and ride most weekends
- I enjoy travel, and have completed solo trips around Asia, Cuba, USA, Mexico and Central America
- I am a qualified PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and an experienced skiier
- I am a music lover
Language Intermediate Mandarin Chinese
Software Pro/E Wildfire 2, Rhino 3, Adobe CS3
Other Clean Driving License
Glasgow School of Art
University of Cambridge