- + Follow
San Francisco, CA
As Senior Production Artist at the Blackhawk Network, Stephen Diebold designs dynamic retail solutions going into many Fortune 500 retailers. Prior to his job at Blackhawk Network, Stephen worked as an Industrial Designer for Chicago-based design consultancy Bish Creative Display. In just two and a half years, Stephen guided over 40 selected concepts, from sketch to manufactured product, and won a bronze medal at the 2012 POPAI design awards. He has created kiosks, décor and displays for many large clients including Disney, Anheuser-Busch, Safeway, Canon, Patron, Home Depot and Nestle.
Stephen has a bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. While studying at the University of Illinois, he focused his studies on tools for those with disabilities. By the age of 19, he submitted his first patent for a tool for those with quadriplegia. He was honored twice as a Lemelson-Illinois Student Prize innovation award nominee. In 2009, Stephen was the first undergraduate to win the Grand Prize at the international Collegiate Inventors Competition. Stephen’s designs earned him national attention, as he was invited to present his design research at MIT, the Boston Museum of Science, the Disability Beat radio program on WEFT, and at the Smithsonian’s Folklife Festival in Washington D.C..
Stephen lives for the moments when art and technology come together and marry beautifully. He is an avid outdoorsman, builder, and beer-snob. He also has a strong habit of taking apart and customizing every item within his reach.
Drop Point - A Tool for Quadriplegia
Aspire Dialysis System
Infinite Spaces - kid's fort building tool
54 Sunview Dr • San Francisco, CA • 94131
E • Diebold.Stephen@gmail.com
P • 847-366-9001
Industrial Design @ University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign • GPA: 3.56 - Grad May '10
Industrial Design Program @ Accademia Italiana; Florence, Italy - Spring 2009
Sr. Production Artist
@ Blackhawk Network; Pleasanton, CA • 04/2013 - Present
- Communicated directly with Fortune 500 clients to design custom retail fixture solutions
- Supported manufacturing with material preferences, product specifications and renderings
- Managed the exchange of information and resources between the marketing and operations teams
Contract Design Assistant
@ Because We Can; Oakland, CA • 10/2012 - 04/2013
- Supported the manufacturing process and implementation of architecture and interior decor elements, including crafting prototypes and installing designs
- Developed and refined architectural renderings and concept presentation materials for clients
@ Stephen Diebold Design; San Francisco, CA • 08/2012 - Present
- Design and development of UI/UX/web for clientele
- Assisted with brainstorming, sketching, and CAD work of consumer products for several clients in the Bay Area
- Selected clients include Future Partners, Sun Saluter (Roseicollis Technologies Inc.), John W. Wilson, M.D. Inc.
@ Bish Creative Display; Lake Zurich, IL • 10/2010 - 04/2013
- Effectively interpreted and created artistic vision for client’s needs and brand while developing eye-catching marketing products.
- Excelled in creation of proposals through sketching, prototyping, product specification development, and effectively communicating requirements to manufacturers.
- Owned entire creative and functional process of product development including printing graphics, material preference, and manufacturing process selection.
- Brought over 40 final products to market for strategic Fortune 500 accounts.
3D Production Lab + Computer Technician
@ UIUC Industrial Design Lab; Champaign, • 09/2007 - 05/2010
- Responsible for production of rapid prototypes, 3D printing and other tech/computer related questions.
Designing for disabilities • 3 years experience - 2007-2010
Python Programming - 2009
Material Science and Engineering - 2008
Adobe Creative Suite
Autodesk 3ds Max
Bunkspeed - Hypershot Rendering
Windows + Mac OS
Familiarity in Spanish + Italian
Bronze Medal Winner at 2012 POPAI Design Awards - 2012
- My display design for Old Pulteney Whiskey won the Bronze in Permanent Displays
Guest Presenter at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. - 2012
- Presented my research at the Folklife Festival for improved tools for accessibility
Special Guest on UIUC Alumni Innovation Panel - 2011
- Answered questions and lead group activity for freshmen orientation
Guest speaker at client workshop for C2 design group - 2010
- Spoke on innovation through collaboration with clients in the design process
Grand Prize Winner • International Collegiate Inventors Competition - 2009
- $25,000 prize for the “Drop Point” project. First ever undergraduate to win
U.S. design patent pending - 2009
- For the “Drop Point” pointer for those with quadriplegia
Guest speaker on inventions at MIT / Boston Museum of Science - 2008
Two-Time Lemelson-Illinois Student Prize finalist - 2008 + 2010
- $30,000 design competition - final five
James Scholar recipient - 2008 + 2009
- Honors program at the University of Illinois
MIT's Eurekafest Design Competition • team leader - 2008+2010
Industrial Designers Society of America - 2007-Present
ACM Siggraph; CGI animation club - 2008-2010
Beach Volleyball League - 2008-Present
University of Ilinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Bachelors Industrial Design
- 2006 - 2010
Accademia Italiana in Florence, Italy
- N/A Industrial Design
- 2009 - 2009
• Guest Presenter - Smithsonian in Washington D.C.
• Bronze Medal Winner at the 2012 POPAI design awards
• U.S. design patent pending
• Special Guest on UIUC Alumni Innovation Panel
• Guest speaker - Boston Museum of Science
• Two-Time Lemelson-Illinois Student...
show more »