This is the first mock up I made to get an idea of weight, size and feel as well as the processes I would use for the final guitar. It was CNC milled out of birch ply and the neck was made of pine.
I modeled the guitar in Rhino to get an idea of size and looks, as well as an understanding of how it all fit together.
I used a combination of 2D and 3D shapes to save time on the CNC mill. This is what the final fabrication vectors look like on Rhino.
The aluminium pickguard was water jet cut. I offset the vectors by the width of the water cutting jet (0.3mm) so that I wouldn't have to file to much. Even with a press fit tolerance of 0.15 mm it was too tight so I ended up having to adjust the size of the pick guard with a file anyway.
The body and neck was stained with water based wood stain because it wouldn't have much build up and react with any top coat I decided to put on.
I used 1 tone and 1 volume potentiometers with two passive humbuckers. This gave the guitar a great classic rock sound.