Periodic Freelance Consultant
West Lafayette, IN
Oct 2007 - Present (13 years 11 months)
Periodic/Freelance Innovation/Engineering Consultant
• Documented Business Strategy with IronCad Marketing and Sales integration with SolidWorks; TRIZ40 and HumanScale Calalogs
• Proposed innovative solutions for improving patients’ emergency room experience, by designing medical gown for ease of dressing and medical access.
• Created Emergency Procedures for UnityPoint Health - Allen Hospital, improving Response Times/GPS Notifications App/Automated Patient Test Status/Feedback, Emergency Priority Systems.
• Drafted new business strategy and arbitrated mutually beneficial solution for MikeWay LLC. Startup Company, resolving conflict and providing inspiration for both sides.
• Identified 10 contributing factors affecting quality issue for Ford assembly line investigation, eliminating 3 years of prior issues.
Senior Product Development Engineer
Oct 2007 - Feb 2017 (9 years 4 months)
Automotive Filter Indicator, Sensor and Switch Manufacturer
• Solely developed and launched the Phillips Industries ‘Air Defense’ Air Brake Filter Indicator Project, Awarded 200K unit contract.
• Led in proposing innovation systems, using Triz, Mindmapping, and a hybrid blend of techniques in the art of innovation, resolving design problems and providing concepts for patents.
• Invented patent pending switch and method of manufacture, low cost pressure switch, achieving very low-cost target.
• Devised Ergonomic ‘Integrated Visual Indicator’ for monitoring filter status with mounting for product lines around the world. Won Navistar Project of EAU 80K Units.
• Mentored Engineers/Designers/Technicians/Manufacturing Assemblers, improving value to company.
• Researched and documented new technologies/concepts/innovative manufacturing processes/materials, which were implemented into existing and future products.
• Constructed and built prototypes, tested and analyzed results.
• Re-designed existing low pressure, diaphragm/pressure switch into a piston/high pressure switch.
• Collaborated with the customer on the Ford Transit Project formulating preventive solutions, changing to a pressure switch, detecting symptoms sooner with increased tolerance band and reducing rejects to zero.
• Diagnosed and found root cause on switch return failures, GM DMAX Program, recommending corrective actions. Won Quality Award from GM.
• Eliminated off-line dipping/baking/drying/cleanroom process, and expensive contact enhancer fluid waste, improving quality and efficiency.
Mechanical Design Engineer
Sep 2002 - Sep 2007 (5 years)
Home Appliance Manufacturer
• Developed Innovative Filtration System achieving 30% Energy Reduction/Energy Star Rating.
• Collaborated with Hydraulics Group developing Dishwasher water delivery system, achieving highest tested performance washability rating.
• Authored 23 patents in 6 months after implementation of Patent Portfolio Initiative Program.
• Performed patent searches, drafted patents, with patent drawings, complete for submission through legal departments and submission to the PTO.
• Wrote, documented and sketched concepts in official patent lab notebooks daily.
• Championed design engineering brainstorming by teaching Electrolux German Engineers how to be more innovative and conceptualize beyond given specifications on Global Dishwasher Project.