Saint Paul, MN
Mar 2018 - Present (3 years 8 months)
• Sole proprietorship; Provide industrial design, mechanical engineering and project management services on a consulting basis.
• Responsible for the overall development and delivery of design through engineering, prototyping, and manufacturing documentation.
• Coach clients, and provide thought leadership on design process, strategy, and execution
industrial designer, team leader, project manager
Mar 2010 - Dec 2017 (7 years 9 months)
• Solid Design is a medium-sized product development and machine design consulting firm. During my tenure, we developed a variety of medical devices, commercial equipment, and consumer products.
• Successfully managed projects ranging from small (3 mos/$5K) to large (3 years/$900K). Managed and led multiple projects (3 – 7) concurrently.
• Determined design strategy. Defined and communicated product vision. Articulated product goals including functionality, aesthetics, human factors, serviceability, cost.
• Generated and developed product and systems concepts, addressing features, user experience, brand expression, form, color and texture, material selection, human factors, manufacturability, assembly, cost reduction, environmental sustainability.
• Facilitated brainstorm sessions.
• Managed clients, establishing and maintaining client/stakeholder relationships, handling account management and communications.
• Developed project management strategies, logistics, budgets, schedules, and proposals.
• Managed the orientation, coordination, supervision, and facilitation of teams including diverse internal and external ID, EE, ME, Software, and Manufacturing resources.
• Created product illustrations using pen, marker, tablet, Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk SketchBook. Created CAID models and renders using SolidWorks, PhotoView360. Created physical (foam) form-study models.
• Vetted suppliers, managed verification testing, managed pilot production runs, facilitated transition to production.
senior industrial designer, project manager
Nov 1997 - Dec 2009 (12 years 1 month)
Directed product development programs involving research, industrial design, mechanical and electrical engineering and physical modeling. I also contributed industrial design services to other programs as a staff Senior Industrial Designer.
Sample Programs -
+ TandemHeart Escort circulatory support pump controller - http://www.tandemlife.com/ - led project team including mechanical engineering and prototyping, led industrial design effort - in partnership with Minnetronix for Cardiac Assist
+ HeartWare Ventricular Assist System - multiple projects: controller, battery, and charger - https://www.heartware.com/products-technology/smart-technology-smart-information - led project teams including mechanical engineering and prototyping, led industrial design efforts - in partnership with Minnetronix for HeartWare
+ nCode Triad Tennis Racket (IDEA Bronze winner) - led project team, led industrial design effort - for Wilson