City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
1374 Special Assistant XV, MTA (Principal Strategist)
Salary: $140,166.00 - $170,352.00 annually
The Office of Design Strategy and Delivery uses a human-centered design process that is collaborative, data driven, and iterative. The team designs unique solutions to the most complex problems facing the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) and mobility in San Francisco by leading and supporting mission-critical internal and external work streams and initiatives. Team members lead multiple major strategic programs and policy initiatives building alignment across multiple Agency divisions and units through the practice of strategic and human-centered design. Structure is brought to ambiguous problems resulting in projects and programs that change policies, systems, processes, and procedures. This consulting group provides program development, management and implementation services for major Agency initiatives, insightful review and perspective of organizational and business systems designed to maximize project delivery capacity and effectiveness of the SFMTA, and strategic advice to senior and executive management.
The Principal Strategist will cultivate a human-centered design culture across the SFMTA through big picture thinking and masterful storytelling. A key function of the job is to hone thinking and help unlock the work – asking simply: “how might we?” As an individual contributor you will ask strategic questions, identify areas of inquiry, run strategic research, develop strategy frameworks, create systems, and iterate service blueprints. As a day-to-day engagement leader, you will guide teams of SFMTA staff to achieve program milestones, policy objectives or critical path tasks. You will build relationships with agency clients while advising and working across every stage to ensure that concepts and design decisions are sensitive to the needs of our clients’ operational objectives. You will chart a path forward with your teams, even when information is ambiguous and challenging. You should be eager to involve clients in the design process, highly responsive to feedback, and excited to present your ideas in front of executives. We’re looking for someone who others describe as human-centric; a generalist leader who inspires and a team player who knows the work only happens when people work together.
Key Strategy projects this position will lead include:
• SFMTA Project Delivery Framework Implementation
• SFMTA Project Management Office Organizational Development
• SFMTA GIS Program Organizational Development
• SFMTA Building Progress Program/Electrification Program Development
• SFMTA Budget Process Development and Engagement Implementation
• San Francisco Cable Car Capital Investment Program Development
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Collaborates with cross functional project teams to motivate, create, and implement short- and long-term policy, programmatic or project strategies.
• Develops briefs that inspire stakeholders and project teams alike to come up with idea development and implementation.
• Contributes to collective strategy practices, identifies problems, performs research, and analyzes trends/results to determine actions.
• Leads research activities including interviews and other fieldwork activities defining the best method(s) for delivering research insights.
• Leads the synthesis process identifying themes and insights, synergies, connections, and patterns.
• Creates compelling new value propositions and crafts actionable recommendations to improve operations, processes, and service.
• Designs new service and business models that enhance and extend internal client capacity while creating new opportunities for revenue and efficiencies and enforce processes and best practices across all engagements.
• Designs organizational structures and strategic assets to help the agency drive its own innovation.
• Defines recommended approach and execution of strategy; understands and translates complex technical and business needs into insights and action plans.
• Develops highly visual frameworks, maps, and conceptual models to articulate complex ideas into intuitive strategic presentations.
• Develops concise, visually compelling stories that distill service strategies in inspiring presentations, maps, and frameworks
• Monitors project related work schedules and completion dates.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; AND
2. Five (5) years of professional experience in business design, business development, management consulting, business, finance, or product or innovation management.
Substitution:?Possession of a Masters degree may substitute for one year of the required professional experience.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date unless otherwise noted. One year of full-time experience is equivalent to 2000 hours. (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week.) Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time experience.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify candidates advancing to the interview process and/or to identify job finalist(s) at the end of the selection process when referred for hiring.
• Experience using analytic and modeling tools.
• Experience using both qualitative and quantitative data to generate insights and opportunity areas for further exploration.
• Ability to creatively solve problems through identification of gaps and developing solutions to close those gaps, whether in policy, process or operations.
• Ability to construct and deliver inspiring and convincing arguments verbally as well as visually.
• Experience using strong presentation and storytelling skills to prepare compelling presentations in PowerPoint.
• Experience using strong leadership and collaboration skills to guide high performing teams using persuasion and influence.
• Financial analysis and business case development skills with a proven track record in both qualitative and quantitative research.
• Excellent analytical skills, and at the same time enjoys working creatively and hands-on in a dynamic and multidisciplinary setting.
To view the full job posting in detail and apply online, please click on the following link: