Master’s Degree in Graphic Design or related field (such as Visual Communications, User Experience Design, Interaction Design, Human-Centered Design, Interface Media). A record of professional research that demonstrates emerging or established national recognition in the field of hire is paramount. The candidate will continue professional research relevant to graphic design with a vision towards future advancements related to a curriculum that addresses students’ needs as they enter the professional field. The school seeks a forward-thinking individual capable of fostering positive relationships and inspiring students.
The successful candidate will:
• Demonstrate a knowledge of graphic design practice, theory, and history that includes a variety of perspectives
• Embrace and develop new forms of critical advancements and practices in the field of graphic design.
• Practice and teach graphic design from a strong concept-driven perspective.
• Demonstrate the ability to teach graphic design and digital media.
• Demonstrate a working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications, Web Technology, UI/UX, and Motion Graphics
• Interest in working in collaboration with area faculty as it relates to graduate program development
• Skills in interpersonal relationships, problem-solving, and decision-making
• Demonstrate knowledge of student management, motivation, and evaluation techniques
• Ability to evaluate student work effectively both orally and in writing
• Demonstrate the importance of citizenship, advocacy, and social responsibility related to teaching and professional research.
• Maintain an active and recognized professional practice of client-initiated, self-initiated, and/or academic research.
• Actively participate in departmental, college, and university service, including committee work and academic support services to the area such as implementing and assessing program outcomes, participating in program reviews, student advising, and recruitment activities, as well as maintaining the program's NASAD accreditation, and building interdisciplinary collaborations.
• Candidates who have very strong records of scholarship supported by extramural funding and who have the proven capacity or clear potential to bring externally sponsored research to Texas Tech University are encouraged to apply. Service duties include program-building, as well as commitment to extra-curricular activities. Service to the department, college, university, and community is expected.
Academic degree as defined by the academic unit and as appropriate for the position held. Demonstrated record of effectiveness as a teacher, a record of peer reviewed publication and/or peer-reviewed creative activity which has contributed to the discipline or field of study, to the candidate’s intellectual and artistic development, and to the quality of the academic enterprise; a record of professional service appropriate to the discipline; promise of growth in teaching and research or artistic and creative activity
Superior analog and digital skills related to graphic design with experience designing for print, interactive, and emerging media. Professional or research-related experience and interest in citizenship and community engagement in and outside of the classroom. Ability to form partnerships within and outside of the university (regionally, nationally, and internationally). Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion. Previous college-level teaching experience is strongly desired.
Does this position work in a research laboratory?No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Diversity and Equity in education are broad concepts that encompass all the unique characteristics that students, staff, and faculty can bring to an institution. At School of Art we are committed to inclusive excellence. Within your letter of application, we highly encourage applicants to explain how your previous and potential contributions enhance a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion through teaching, research, creative activity and/or service.
Please provide the following with your application:
Letter of Application. Please briefly address all qualifications related to research, teaching, and service for the position as well as your previous and potential contributions to enhance a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion in these areas.
Professional Portfolio of design work. Please include examples of student work if available. Please include a web address or link within the Letter of Application where design work can be viewed.
Other Documents: Research Statement and Teaching Philosophy
List of Three References with Contact Information