Adjunct College Laboratory Technician - Industrial Design
Job ID: 20718
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
- Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
Adjunct College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
The Industrial Design Program at LaGuardia Community College is growing and seeks an adjunct laboratory technician to support this growth. Reporting to the Industrial Design Program Director, the Adjunct College Laboratory Technician will support the industrial design coursework while providing and maintaining a safe working environment for both students and faculty.
The fabrication laboratory is also shared with a business incubator - NY Designs - associated with LaGuardia Community College. This position is for the Fall 2019 semester.
In addition to the General Duties, responsibilities include the following:
• Monitor all activities in the fabrication workshop in support of coursework;
• Ensure all fabrication workshop work areas are clean and safe, making sure materials are stored appropriately.
• Coordinate purchase orders, maintenance, repair and use of lab equipment.
• Provide training on safety procedures and proper use of equipment and tools, and supervise members on an ongoing basis to ensure safety
• Assist in preparing bids for laser cutting, 3D printing and CNC jobs for fabrication workshop students and clients;
• Support fabrication workshop and program activities as needed.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
- Relevant professional experience and strong technical experience.
- Associate or Advanced degree in a design or S.T.E.M. field preferred.
- Familiarity and experience working with equipment such as: Laser cutters, CNC routers, 3-D printers, vacuum formers, table saws, lathers, sanders, drill press, power tools, and all associated equipment
- Proficiency with image editing, CAD/CAM applications, and design software including Adobe Suite, Rhino and Solidworks.
- Excellent communication skills.
- First Aid and advanced safety training preferred.
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations preferred
- Strong design fabrication knowledge and experience using hand tools, power tools and machine tools.
- Active desire to learn new skills, processes and technologies.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
September 9, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.