Artisan Books’ design department is growing! Artisan is a small, creative, collaborative team of editors and designers focused on creating gorgeous nonfiction books.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
· You’re an idea person who can imagine a number of visual possibilities for a book
· You love to collaborate with editors, illustrators, and other designers to develop new ideas
· You thrive working on a project with a lot of elements—and using design to make the project feel lively and engaging
· You’re a great listener who responds thoughtfully to feedback
· You’re a detail-oriented perfectionist who sees revision as an opportunity to grow
· You’re gratified by a project that is running smoothly and adept at problem-solving when a book needs some extra TLC
· You can manage multiple projects simultaneously and coordinate with freelances and in-house staff
· You have a keen sense of layout, and the proven ability to select and sequence images for publication
Here are some of the things you might do in a typical week:
· Collaborate with senior designers and editors to create several concepts for a new book’s cover and interior
· Research, hire, and communicate with illustrators
· Resolve the design of a book that’s hit an unexpected snag—and keep it on schedule
· Design mechanicals, make reprint corrections, and prepare titles for production
· Review and correct proofs with assistance of senior staff
· Attend a production meeting and an art meeting with the publisher
· BFA preferred
· Approximately one to three years of experience in illustrated book design
· Previous design experience required, typesetting experience a plus
· Knowledgeable of book traditions and typographic conventions
· Strong time management, follow-up, and follow-through skills
· Strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator is required
· Great attitude/team player
· A portfolio that shows great ideation, design, and type skills
Workman Publishing is steadfast in its commitment to innovation, creativity, inclusion, and excellence. Our focus is to create a diverse and supportive environment, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All are welcome, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any of the other fascinating characteristics that make each of us wonderfully unique. With a role at our company, you’ll be part of an amazing team! We invite you to explore our career options below, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Please send your résumé and cover letter and a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. We apologize in advance but not all applicants will receive a response.
Please note that the person in this position will be working from home for the foreseeable future, although interested candidates must reside in either NY, NJ, or CT and be able to commute to Workman’s office when it is once again safe to work in an office environment.