The Department of Art at The College at Brockport, SUNY, invites applications for a full-time, 10 month, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Art, Graphic Design, position with a start date of August, 2020. The department is seeking candidates with strengths in one or more of the following graphic design subspecialties: motion design; time-based media; interactive media design; UI design; Web design; and/or 3D modeling and animation. The candidate is expected to have an interest in becoming an integral member of a teaching environment that blends studio art and design.
Responsibilities include teaching, scholarship, and service:
• Teaching responsibilities includes undergraduate courses in graphic design from foundational and introductory levels through upper-division levels, based on the applicant’s expertise and the department’s need. This faculty position will complement and expand our growing graphic design concentration, the current strength of which is instruction in core graphic design skills and principles. The department is looking to expand the concentration’s curricular offerings to include emerging areas in new media, therefore the ideal candidate would have proficiency in one or more areas related to: motion design; time-based media; interactive media design; UI design; Web design; and/or 3D modeling and animation. Additional teaching responsibilities include curriculum development, advising, participation in program coordination, and lab management.
• Scholarship responsibilities include an active program of research, creation, presentation,
and peer review.
• Service responsibilities include departmental and institutional participation as well as supporting College efforts related to student retention and success.
• Terminal degree (Master of Fine Arts or Master of Design) in Graphic Design or a related field (e.g.: Interaction Design, or Visual Communications Design) by time of appointment from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized college or university.
• Experience teaching at the college level (may include TA experience).
• Evidence of professional work demonstrating graphic communication skills.
• Expertise in one or more of the following areas: motion design; time-based media; interactive media design; UI design, web design; and/or 3D modeling and animation.
• In-depth knowledge of typography and communication design theory with a demonstrated command of current design processes and software.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to communicate with, and motivate, a culturally diverse body of students.
• Professional experience in graphic design at a variety of levels.
• Practical knowledge of advertising design, environmental/experiential design, and/or packaging design is beneficial.
• Two to three years teaching at the college level.
• Experience working in a Mac-based lab environment.
• Fluency in, and appreciation of, studio art and art history.
Professional experience in graphic design at a variety of levels.
Practical knowledge of advertising design, environmental/experiential design, and/or packaging design is beneficial.
Two to three years teaching at the college level.
Experience working in a Mac-based lab environment.
Fluency in, and appreciation of, studio art and art history.
Interested candidates should apply online at jobs.brockport.edu. For consideration, please submit:
1.) Letter of Application;
3.) List of three professional references;
4.) Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
5.) Designer/Artist statement;
6.) Unofficial transcript of graduate coursework;
7.) Digital portfolio of professional work (or related materials). Ideally portfolios will include 20 examples of current work from the past 5-years;
8).Evidence of teaching experience and effectiveness including assignment samples and a digital portfolio of 20 examples of student work. Student examples should be labeled as to how the work submitted relates to a course assignment.
Portfolios should be PDF format and/or include links to external websites, if necessary to demonstrate video or interactive work. Upload limit is 200 MB.