Assistant or Associate Professor of Wood + Material Studies
The Department of Art and Visual Culture in the College of Design at Iowa State University is offering a full-time tenure-track position at the open rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in Wood and Related Materials starting August 2023.
Qualified candidates will bring an in-depth knowledge in the art, design, and craft of wood and related materials and practices. Areas of expertise will include contemporary and traditional techniques embracing sculptural and functional approaches to making. Special attention will be given to candidates who bring an innovative approach to fabrication processes and critical knowledge of wood and related materials into their teaching and creative work. Candidates with ecologically and socially responsible practices are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have opportunities to contribute to teaching in the department of Art and Visual Culture and the interdisciplinary collegiate programs in the College of Design. The position includes working with a diverse group of students from multiple design disciplines with a range of skill levels. Cultural sensitivity and inclusive approaches in teaching are expected. The position responsibilities also include scholarship and research in the area of the candidate’s expertise; student advising; service on department, college and university committees; and maintenance of the wood studio and related equipment.
As a land grant and Research I institution, Iowa State University upholds and advocates for the impact of creative activities, scholarship, and education both on-and off-campus. We embrace and value community, diversity, and the indigenous lands, people, and knowledge that preceded the formation of our institution and that inform our current-day practices. The College of Design celebrates and builds on long-standing success as a comprehensive design school that embodies knowledge-sharing and innovation; the Department of Art and Visual Culture exemplifies these qualities through the creativity and entrepreneurship of its diverse community of makers, educators, and scholars. With an integrated and cross-disciplinary approach to teaching and collaborating, we are committed to contributing to the diversity and excellence of the academic community and to building a culturally diverse environment. We are especially seeking candidates who uphold and promote this purpose and who apply the above qualities to wood and material studies in their teaching and creative practice.
• Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree or equivalent
• College level teaching experience, commensurate with rank at time of hire.
• Preferred Qualifications:
• Portfolio with evidence of critical approaches to wood-based art and craft
• Demonstrated evidence of professional accomplishment
• Knowledge of contemporary and traditional practices in wood and related materials.
• Experience in sustainable and environmentally responsible design
• Experience maintaining a wood studio and related equipment
• Evidence of successful college-level teaching experience beyond graduate assistantship
Proposed Start Date:
August 16, 2023
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
09 Month Work Period
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
• Letter of Application/Cover Letter
• Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Contact information for three professional references
• Research and Creative Activities Statement
• Teaching Philosophy Statement
• Diversity and Inclusion Statement
• Sample course syllabi
• Portfolio of Creative Work: 20 page pdf portfolio of creative work including title, date, media
• Teaching Portfolio: 20 page pdf portfolio of work by your students including student name, title, date, media and course
For full consideration, please apply by January 3, 2023.
Sarah Kyle, Professor and Chair, AVC, 146 College of Design, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3093.
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, please email Olivia Valentine, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Iowa State University is an EO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work-life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits, including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
• Generous leave plans;
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa);
• Life insurance and long-term disability;
• Flexible Spending Accounts;
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts;
• Employee Assistance Program;
• Wellbeing program