Position Title: Associate Industrial Designer
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Reports To: Manager, Industrial Design
What if your design skills and experience could make a daily difference in people’s lives? And what if the design team working beside you was diverse, talented, and invested in each other’s success?
Welcome to Newell Brands Design.
With products that impact people on every front—at home, at work, and at play—Newell Brands Design is a chance to put your abilities to the greatest possible use.
Creating so many recognized brands takes a diverse team; we celebrate all backgrounds and walks of life. Rather than a single path to leadership, we offer many. Along the way, you will have countless creative minds working alongside you.
As an Associate Industrial Designer, there are opportunities to partner with over 200 other creatives with a variety of disciplines. Working in close collaboration, you will reimagine product lines and inspire cross-functional team with future innovation ideas.
Have we mentioned our space? Our working environment has everything you need to thrive: a fully equipped model shop, open studios for getting deep into flow, and even an art gallery in case you want to share your outside work.
What stands out most is the design culture we’re building. Our Design Citizens are talented, focused, and fun to work with. For many, this doesn’t even feel like “work.”
In addition to ongoing learning and development, we offer a comprehensive health and wellness benefits program, and great opportunities to participate in employee led resource and activity groups. Whatever it takes to support your personal and professional growth, you’ll find it here. Further information on our exciting careers and programs can be found at Newell Careers.
Whatever it takes to support your personal and professional growth, you’ll find it here.
• Application of consumer insights into innovative design solutions
• Execute as directed against integration of technology and innovation platforms leveraging new and existing Visual Design Language
• Participate in programs that require direct contact with consumers through qualitative research including home visits, ethnographies and focus groups.
• Work closely with Engineering to develop product specifications and validate prototypes.
• Support conceptualization and development of new products
• Performs other duties as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
• A recent graduate or have less than three years of relevant experience
• Ability to travel at least once per quarter
• Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
• Ability to present in English.
• Basic Awareness of Industrial Design Fundamentals including: 2D & 3D modelling & visualization, aesthetic sensibility, Industrial Design research, prototyping, feasibility awareness, and principles of human factors.
Skills & Capabilities Overview:
• Design Fundamentals (Basic Awareness) Understands the principles of design applications within industrial design and has developed undergraduate level projects to the highest degree through illustration, rendering and modeling,
• Industrial Design Research (Basic Awareness) Understanding and experience of ethnographic research, principles of investigation, harvesting resources and information systems.
• Surface Development (Basic Awareness) Able to articulate how surfaces responds to light and environment.
• Study Models (Basic Awareness) Has developed undergraduate level project prototypes with the ability to think and communicate design in dimensions.
• Feasibility Engineering (Basic Awareness) Awareness of engineering processes. Mechanical, Process, Materials, Structural, etc.
• Visual Communications (Basic Awareness) Demonstrates understanding of the specific media and mediums resident within the fields of communication design and the fundamental design components of each.
• Digital Design Tools (Basic Awareness) Capable of navigating Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchbook Pro, Rhino (or other CAD)
• Materials and Methods (Basic Awareness) Knowledge of common materials and their manufacturing process with the ability to select for design intent.
• Solid Modeling (Basic Awareness) College level experience in building appearance models in support of design projects.
• Interface Design (Basic Awareness) Principles of human factors as it relates to controls and functional surfaces.
• Human Factors (Basic Awareness) Knowledge of Human Scale and basic ergonomic principles.
Newell Brands (Nasdaq: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.