The University of Utah College of Architecture + Planning is seeking candidates to fill the position of Chair of the Division of Multi-Disciplinary Design at the rank of tenured associate professor or professor.
The Chair is the leader and administrator for the MDD division, charged with partnering with faculty, staff, and students to continue and enrich the division’s aspirations in alignment with the vision of the College.
The Chair is responsible for student and faculty recruitment, hiring and evaluation, curriculum development, budget oversight, and division governance. In addition, the Chair will be a faculty member and is expected to contribute their perspective, research, and teaching effort (one class per semester) to complement our team of scholars and educators.
The successful candidate will:
1) articulate a compelling vision for the future of the MDD program, building upon the strengths that have been established;
2) have demonstrated ability to form relationships within affiliated design areas and outside such as business, engineering, medicine, and the broader design community;
3) be a strong advocate for design’s ability for transformative positive social change, with a demonstrated focus on environmental, heath, racial and/or spatial inequities and disparities;
4) Have an exceptional record of creative, professional, scholarly and/or academic activities and demonstrate the ability to mentor diverse faculty in their creative work, research and practice;
5) demonstrate and value the importance of place and sense of belonging in design education;
6) demonstrate a balance between practice and academic leadership; and
7) exhibit the ability to lead through exemplary collaborative and open processes and within shared governance.
Minimum qualifications include a terminal degree in a design discipline (such as product, experience, platform, architecture) or closely related field; tenurable in a design or design-related program; professional practice experience; and a strong record of creative and research work including publications, built works, and exhibits.
Previous administrative experience and participation in design-related organizations at the international and national levels are all highly desirable characteristics. Also, the demonstration of facilitating a diverse community of scholars is important.
Qualified applicants must submit:
1) a curriculum vitae;
2) a letter of intent that includes statements of pedagogical objectives for professional education, personal scholarship objectives, and how they are related;
3) a 1-page statement addressing the School’s Statement on Systemic Racial Injustice (http://soa.cap.utah.edu );
4) a selected portfolio (8MB max) and/or link to online material demonstrating their strengths for this position;
5) a list of three references (with a phone number, physical, and email addresses, and relationship to the candidate) in support of the application. References will not be contacted prior to receiving the candidate’s consent.
All materials should be uploaded via https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/122456.
The review of applications begins December 1, 2021, and will continue until a candidate is appointed. The appointment is targeted to start July 1, 2022. Please address questions for this position to Jim Agutter, Chair Search Committee, email@example.com.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen and immunizations.