Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
Do you want to help make the world a better place by leading design and creative direction for the largest private funder of human rights in the world? We are seeking a Creative Director, based in New York, to oversee Open Society’s global brand identity and to ensure design reflects our mission and is expressed consistently throughout all our efforts.
Part of the Communications team and reporting to the Global Director of Communications, the Creative Director is a multidisciplinary specialist—equal parts brand identity strategist and visual designer. The role focuses heavily but not exclusively on the digital experience, overseeing a Creative team that leads the creative process from idea to concept, production, and launch.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Communications team plays a central role in the work of the Open Society Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise Open Society’s public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, digital, social media, publications, and internal communications to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.
As Creative Director at Open Society, you will:
• Define, shape, and manage the brand identity and global design system for the Open Society Foundations, incorporating web, photography, video, and other visual elements into a strategy that tells the Open Society story, advances our issues, and differentiates us in the world;
• Develop and enforce design guidelines, templates, and workflow processes for internal and external communications outputs and materials;
• Lead a cross-functional team that includes staff focused on interactive and print design, web development, photography, events, and video;
• Develop and manage relationships with agency partners and vendors, ensuring work meets brand standards and is delivered on time and budget;
• Work closely with Global Director of Communications and across teams to develop impactful campaigns and integrated design products that support Open Society advocacy and priority issues;
• Engage in hands-on design, producing and creating compelling visual assets (logos, charts, inforgraphics), multimedia, digital, event, and print experiences;
• Act as the senior creative lead within the Open Society Foundations, advancing the goals of the foundation by using design to establish our identity and tell the story of our work.
What we are looking for:
• Minimum of 10 years of design leadership experience, preferably with a focus on advocacy and social good in a global context;
• Extensive experience leading full life cycle creative projects, from idea to execution, in a matrixed environment and on budget and time;
• Expertise managing and evolving brand identity systems, including visual guidelines and templates optimized for accessibility by the widest, most diverse audience;
• Superior communication, presentation, and design skills; expert-level knowledge of modern design fundamentals across mediums;
• Strong digital and social media campaign experience;
• Proficiency with Adobe’s Creative Cloud set of applications, and related industry-standard graphic design, video, and prototyping software;
• Demonstrated cultural competency, self-awareness, and experience working with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
What we offer:
• Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts;
• Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more;
• A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV on our website; we look forward to learning more about you.
Closing date: 19 September 2021.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.