3M Design is seeking a Design Principal to join our HIS M*Modal organization in either Pittsburgh or working remotely with 3M’s new work your way program, you will have the flexibility to create a work arrangement that works best for you!
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 93,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
"Design at 3M is integral to creating distinctive brand experiences that brings our world-class innovation in science to life. Now, more than ever, the very best talent and diverse perspectives are required to create the next generation of ideas, solutions, and services for customers around the globe."- Brian Rice, vice president, chief brand and design officer at 3M
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
3M | M*Modal, is an innovative technology company in the healthcare industry. Our speech recognition and natural language understanding technologies provide meaningful assistance to physicians and other medical professionals to help them focus on what matters most — caring for their patients.
As a Design Principal with 3M’s Health Information Systems Division | M*Modal, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Leading the design vision and strategy across multiple product families aimed at improving the way medical staff interacts with clinical documentation.
- Providing leadership and direct management of several direct reports as part of the cross-discipline design team.
- Building and managing the development of a world-class design team that effectively delivers meaningful brand experiences, products, and service solutions.
- Acting as a champion of Design for strategic programs across the division, collaborating closely with business cross-functional teams.
- Partnering with key leadership and stakeholders to strategize on mid-and long-term business relevant design program identification, direction, and development.
- Leading the creation of a strong, user-centered vision for product, service, and experience development that drive better outcomes in healthcare.
- Overseeing UX research efforts, both generative and evaluative, qualitative and quantitative.
- Helping with day-to-day design work as an individual contributor in support of project goals.
- Participating and contributing to the full software development lifecycle (SDLC) of our products, which includes attending engineering standups.
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited Institution in a design-related field.
- Five (5) years of experience leading in-house UX teams for digital products in a private, public, government, or military environment.
- Ten (10) combined years of experience in interaction, user interface, or product design for digital products in a private, public, government, or military environment.
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- M.S. in Design, Design Strategy, Design Research, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience with product commercialization that includes driving a product from conception through launch and assessing post-launch effectiveness.
- Experience in the healthcare industry.
- Experience with creating enterprise software.
- Familiar with speech recognition and natural language processing technologies.
- Experience in multi-modal product design.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Travel: May include up to 25% Domestic
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Location: Pittsburgh, PA or will consider remote US work location
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Responsibilities of this position include that corporate policies, procedures and security standards are complied with while performing assigned duties.
Our approach to flexibility is called Work Your Way, which puts employees first and drives well-being in ways that enable 3M’s business and performance goals. You have flexibility in where and when work gets done. It all depends on where and when you can do your best work.
Pay & Benefits Overview: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/careers-us/working-at-3m/benefits/
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.