For more than 160 years the Orvis name has stood for a passion for the outdoors and customer satisfaction. We are seeking a Designer for Technical Outdoor Apparel to join our team and ensure flawless execution of product and design vision from concept through completion by creating and executing compelling design concepts and styles that meet and exceed the Orvis brand and business expectations. The Designer is a key product & design leader, evangelist and contributor to the department. In this role you will provide design inspiration and conceptual directives for responsible categories in alignment with the Men’s and Women’s Apparel categories.
We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision, is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspires the individuals who will get us there. Our associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations.
The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature. We invite and inspire associates to connect with the adventure and wonder of the outdoor world. Come join us in a life outdoors. We believe the most meaningful experiences are created by sharing the love of nature and being inspired by its endless possibilities.
Who you will be working with:
The Designer for Technical Outdoor Apparel will report to the VP of Design, Development, Sourcing and will partner with Merchandising, Planning, Sourcing, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Creative departments. It is an individual contributor role that will not involve supervision.
This position is based in our Home Office in Sunderland, Vermont. Our Vermont location is a dog-friendly office, so you may have a few 4-legged office mates as well. Orvis Dogs at Work https://youtu.be/MM27eizRZo0
What you will be working on:
• Responsible for driving the design, fit execution and specifications for innovative, technologically advanced products of the highest level
• Research and identify trend directions; create concept/mood boards, analyze collections, shop stores; perform competitive analysis; pull and review fabrics, design concepts, presentation boards for meetings, mock-ups, color-ups, inspirational photos
• Interface with the VP and Director of Product Design and Development, Sourcing and manufacturing partners to meet product introduction timelines
• Work closely with Wholesale Team to ensure on schedule delivery of photography, show, marketing and rep samples
• Travel to factories, vendors, regional training events and industry trade and sourcing shows
Accountabilities and expectations for this position:
• Adhere to and enforce all Design & Process calendar deadlines
• Partner and work directly with Product Development throughout the development process
• Collaborate with Merchandising to design according to style plans, sales needs and emerging trends
• Prepare presentation boards (Sketches, color ups, fabrics) and present for key seasonal meetings
• Work with Tech Design team to ensure proper fit and end use
• Create Illustrator sketches; review line sheets; develop initial tech packs
• Guide, mentor, and partner within team and across departments
Skills that will be important in this role:
• Presentation skills and ability to influence
• Resourceful, creative and efficient when faced with multiple projects or challenging deadlines
• Proven verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to develop strong working relationships
• Alignment with the Orvis Core Values
Experience we are looking for:
• Minimum of 5 years of design experience in both men’s and women’s technical apparel
• Strong aesthetics and ability translate aesthetic requirements to the needs of the Orvis brand
• Strong sketching and design capability
• Extensive knowledge of technical fabrics, construction, and fit
• Knowledge of the Fly Fishing and Outdoor Industries
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.