Elgin Community College
Elgin Community College (ECC) is a comprehensive, fully accredited community college located in Elgin, Illinois, one of its most rapidly growing cities. Our district encompasses 360 square miles, serving 400,000 people, 11,000 businesses with four public school districts and 15 high schools. ECC was selected as one of five Illinois community colleges to participate in the national Achieving the Dream (AtD) initiative. is a long-term national initiative that collaborates with community colleges to help more students earn degrees, complete certificates, or transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies. The park-like setting of our 145 acre Main Campus offers instruction spanning nine major buildings with beautiful views. ECC also offers classes throughout the northwest suburbs of Chicago with more than 100 off-campus locations.
The graphic designer responds to the established goals set for a piece of communication (or a series of related pieces, possibly in multiple media) to visually organize, design and brand a persuasive, targeted print or electronic piece, within the constraints of limited budget and tight schedule.
1. Working within an established brand environment, design a multitude of print and digital materials to persuasively communicate the college's strategic priorities, attract students to the college, and promote a wide variety to activities and college goals.
2. Partner closely with leadership, teammates, and clients to implement appropriate design techniques, fine-tune design, advocate for best practices, and serve as brand steward.
3. Partner with photographer to assist with photo shoots, individually select stock images, and/or create illustrations for use in designs.
3. Analyze the goals and parameters of projects; research related design considerations; maintain visual identity and brand standards to protect the college image and attract students.
4. Determine specifications for bids to printers, making sure design deadline can be met and project is cost effective; pre-flight digital files for printing; deliver final digital files that meet industry standards; in both cases, working to manage or reduce costs without reduction in quality.
5. Keep current databases, archives, and electronic filing system of jobs. Use expert training to approve proofs from printer; attend press checks off campus if needed; collaborate with printers to trouble-shoot technical problems. Ensure printed material meets postal regulations.
6. Participate in department-wide communication, collaboration, and growth activities.
1. Perform other job related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
2. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
1. Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university in visual communications or directly related field with 3 years experience and a strong portfolio, or associate degree with 5 years of experience in print/electronic design and a strong portfolio; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
2. Advanced creative, visualization and problem-solving skills.
3. Advanced knowledge of typography, color and design theory; ability to advocate for and educate about good design.
4. Working knowledge of Mac operating system and applications.
5. Advanced proficiency in design software, including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat).
6. Mastery of photo-editing, digital file-processing, image-manipulation, and image optimization techniques for print, as well as electronic file formats.
7. Working knowledge of computer networking systems and Windows operating systems; fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
8. Working knowledge of spec-writing, pre-press (pre-flight), print production and file-transfer techniques and software.
9. Ability to prepare for repeating, cyclical assignments without direction.
10. Working knowledge of postal regulations, as applicable to direct mail design.
11. Ability to balance attention to detail with big-picture priority-setting and time-management.
12. Dedication to customer service while working for multiple clients with the ability to interpret stakeholder requests and effectively present concepts.
13. Excellent oral and written communication skills and human-relations skills.
14. Commitment to collaborative process; comfortable with and able to act on feedback from multiple sources while retaining own expertise.
15. Ability to work effectively with others under complex, deadline-driven circumstances; must be able to learn and keep-up-to-date shared project-management software.
1. Working knowledge of HTML/CSS
2. Knowledge of design for electronic application
3. Basic knowledge of coding for electronic application plus front-end web-development techniques
4. Ability to art-direct a photo shoot, including unique lighting and composition considerations, and to coordinate students, faculty, VIPs, props and locations
For a detailed job posting and to apply, please visit our web site at:
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.