Our Commitment to Students
At Canadian Tire, we are committed to providing students with a supportive and collaborative environment that fosters knowledge sharing and offers key experiences to help them develop their capabilities through projects and objectives. We believe in setting specific and measurable goals that align with our business objectives to support learning and help students achieve their full potential. Our culture emphasizes learning from others, continuous improvement, agility, growth, and innovation, and we are invested in building a talented, diverse workforce for the future of Canada and Canadian Tire. Additionally, we are dedicated to building strong relationships with our student employees by engaging with them throughout their education and career pursuits, and creating opportunities for ongoing communication and relationship building.
What You'll do
- The Industrial Design Student’s role is to support the Product Development Manager in building products that help deliver a consistent, authentic, and customer-driven product experience through our retail brands.
- Creates design specification & sourcing packages including any relevant product sketches and sizing details, colour, material and pattern detail, packaging and trim info, etc.
- Where applicable, creates original design work (surface, pattern, form, etc.)
- Assists in creating seasonal style & sourcing guides specific to relevant individual businesses, incorporating color, material, pattern and trend direction as set by the Product Development Manager.
- Helps to provide art direction for packaging, marketing, etc. as needed, and works with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent presentation of the brand in all customer-facing vehicles.
- Actively works to raise the bar on our product offering through products that are on-trend and highly relevant from both a design and function perspective.
What you bring
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program in industrial design, fashion design, graphic design, or a related discipline
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop). 3D CAD rendering abilities (eg SolidWorks) would be an asset.
- Strong design communication skills: ability to create renderings, sketches, mock-ups/models, story/mood boards
- Understanding of materials, basic manufacturing processes
- Past experience in retail is not required, but is an asset
- A portfolio is strongly preferred
We value flexibility. We have adopted a hybrid work model whereby employees use a combination of working in office and virtually in service of outcomes. Each leader is empowered to decide what work is best achieved in person based on the unique needs of their team.