We are currently recruiting for an Industrial Designer to join the Benchmade Knife Company team. The Industrial Designer is the sole owner of the origination and development of ideas to design the form, ergonomics, finish, and fundamental function of the manufactured products at Benchmade Knife Company. This role is responsible for researching publications, attending trade shows, and consulting with engineering, marketing, production, and sales representatives to establish product design strategy, design concepts, and final execution of consumer product designs. This role works closely with our industry markets and internal team, and is responsible for taking products and product ideas and making them user-friendly, functional, ergonomic and attractive to consumers.
• Originates and develop ideas to design the form, ergonomics, finish, and fundamental function of manufactured products: Researches publications, attends trade shows, and consults with engineering, marketing, production, and sales representatives to establish product design strategy, design concepts, and final execution of consumer product designs.
• Evaluates design ideas based on factors such as appealing appearance, design-function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, price, production costs, methods of production, market characteristics, and market specifications.
• Integrates findings and concepts from collaborating Benchmade independent designers and translate into sketches & design ideas.
• Presents design to Marketing, Sales & Engineering and discuss needs for modification and change.
• Designs product packaging and graphics for advertising.
• Supports the building of concept models, using hand and power tools and various materials.
• Prepares illustrations.
• Prepares or coordinate preparation of working drawings from sketches and design specifications.
• Designs products for custom applications or related products in our markets.
• Usually specializes in edged products and related tools in several markets including, outdoor, hunting, law enforcement, military, sporting, gentleman, and tradesman.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design or other related degree, and 5-6 years of experience in the Industrial Design field with consumer products, preferably in the outdoor/edged product markets is required. Equivalency to the qualification standard will also be considered.
• Able to effectively implement through influence and presentation
• Able to work with varying levels of the organization.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and capable of prioritizing workload.
• Possess excellent communication skills – verbal and written.
• Must be flexible and able to adapt quickly to a constantly changing environment.
• Ability to work in cross functional teams and lead projects from conception to completion.
• Computer/software competency including Adobe, Rhino, Fusion 360, Alias, MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Project. Knowledge of ProEngineer desirable.
• Working knowledge of Windchill PDM or similar file vaulting system desirable.
• Passion for our products and market.
Benchmade offer our employees a wide variety of comprehensive rewards and benefits including:
• Competitive pay
• Cash profit sharing and performance incentives
• Medical including Prescriptions and Vision
• Dental including Orthodontia
• Short-Term and Long-term Disability
• Life & Accidental Death and Dismemberment
• 401K with company match
• Fitness Center Reimbursement
• Pay for time off, including holiday, bonus holidays, vacation, sick, bereavement and jury duty
• Employee Assistance Program
• Flexible Spending Account
• Outstanding employee discounts on Benchmade products and other partner companies
• Tuition reimbursement
• Targeted development planning and learning opportunities
• Employee and family events throughout the year
• Most importantly, Benchmade provides a fun, family oriented and entrepreneurial work environment
This is an exciting time to be part of a company on the verge of even greater success. If you think you have what it takes to be part of a company that strives to create a working environment that stimulates team spirit, passion, engagement, and achievement, complete an application today. Please include a resume and cover letter with your online application.
Benchmade Knife Company values diversity in its work force and is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
Please submit a resume and portfolio of work online through our careers website.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.