Industrial Designer II/III - The Toro Company
WHO ARE WE?
The Toro Company is a homegrown, Minnesota-based company that has been in business since 1914. We pride ourselves on providing world class equipment to help maintain the environment that we love, while putting an emphasis on giving back to the communities that surround us. From residential lawns and gardens, to venues such as St. Andrews Links and Target Field, we are a company with a global footprint and a passion for helping people beautify whatever landscape they may be in. With 100 years of operation under our belt and an average employee tenure of 15 years, come find out what makes The Toro Company the best place in the Twin Cities to build a career.
The Industrial Designer II/III, is responsible for creating, developing and implementing product design for Worldwide Toro products. Supports product development across Toro product lines, ensuring the effective execution of concepts and specifications that optimize the function, value and appearance of products and systems for the mutual benefit of Toro and the end user.
Visa/Employment Sponsorship is not available with this opportunity.
This opportunity is on-site at The Toro Company Corporate Headquarters, in Bloomington, MN. Candidates should prepare for 5-days on-site for the majority of the schedule.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Designs and develops industrial product concepts and specifications that reflect aesthetic, functional, and manufacturing requirements. Researches and analyzes the intended use of products and user preferences. Translates user insights and market requirements into sketches, prototypes, and CAD models to visually communicate the design concept. Supports product development across product lines, ensuring the effective execution of concepts and specifications that optimize the function, value and appearance of products and systems.
Collaborates with stakeholders including engineering, manufacturing, marketing, and suppliers to produce final designs that meet safety, manufacturability, timeline, and cost constraints.
Uses a variety of 3D/2D CAD rendering, prototyping, and animation tools.
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
* Industrial Designer II, Intermediate: Bachelors Degree in Industrial Design; plus 2-4 years of related experience.
* Industrial Designer III, Senior: Bachelors Degree in Industrial Design; plus 4-7 years of related experience.
* Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is required. Experience in Pro/Engineer, Sketchbook Pro, or Keyshot is a plus. Requires 4-7 previous experience and working knowledge of various PC based graphics and presentation software packages currently used within the industry. Uses that experience to apply software skills to problem solving. Experience in consumer outdoor products, human centered design or power sports is desirable.
* Job requires the ability to work in a number of mediums; including hand sketching and model making in foam core and cardboard, digital sketching, and other mediums.
* The ideal candidate will have excellent hand/digital visualization skills, intuition for user needs, eye for detail, and strong mechanical aptitude.
* Strong communication, interpersonal skills, and organizational skills with the ability to manage many projects at the same time.
* 0 to 10% travel (Travel to test sites, vendors, manufacturing facilities, customers and others, as necessary). Ability to maintain an active, valid driver's license and passport. Overseas and interstate travel maybe required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBLIITES:
* Create design concepts which embody relevant design criteria as determined by the development team and user requirements.
* Provide human factors/ergonomics direction with sensitivity to visual, tactile, safety and convenience criteria of user interface.
* Provide clear and concise design recommendations with respect to cost, schedule, manufacturing and quality through perspective drawings, mock-ups, models, verbal descriptions and 2D/3D software.
* Ensures industrial design and graphic design to conform to appropriate Toro and agency standards as deemed applicable by Toro Safety Committee and/or Legal Department.
* Performs other related duties as may be required:
* Supports company and organizational goals through the Continuous Improvement Process.
* Keeps abreast of new developments, materials, manufacturing processes, media advances and competitive products.
WHAT CAN WE GIVE YOU?
At The Toro Company, we are always working to make sure our employees know just how valued they are. In addition to a competitive salary, an affordable and top tier medical/dental/vision plan, 401k, and many other great benefits - The Toro company offers employees at our Bloomington, MN HQ location a variety of perks, including:
* Dress for your day - We know you're more productive when you're comfortable, which is why TTC employees are encouraged to take advantage of our casual, corporate environment.
* Location – Conveniently located near both St. Paul and Minneapolis, we are centrally located for most commuters!
* Food - Take advantage of our onsite café, which serves both breakfast and lunch. With a Caribou Coffee attached, you can grab a snack and a coffee at any time during your day.
* Wellness - The Toro Company’s HQ offers complimentary use of our onsite fitness facility to employees. In addition to physical wellbeing, TTC offers a variety of mental health and financial health resources to all employees.
* Competitive Salary – Salary will be determined by experience and qualifications. If you need to, you can access your pay early with the EVEN app.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
#LI - Onsite
Please include a link to a portfolio or website. Thank you!