Instructional Support Specialist - Fabrication Processes
College of Art and Design
Employment Category: Fulltime
The College of Art and Design offers programs within five schools: Art, Crafts, Design, Film and Animation, and Photography. The College of Art and Design possesses the university’s highest number of national top-ten graduate rankings (glass, ceramics, photography, graphic design, and industrial design). It is one of RIT's largest colleges with: fifteen BFA programs and four BS programs, serving approximately 1,600 undergraduate students; ten MFA programs, two MS programs, and an MST in Visual Arts-All Grades, with approximately 320 graduate students. Minors in Art History and Imaging Systems are also in the College of Art and Design's portfolio of academic offerings. To learn more about the College of Art and Design, please visit https://rit.edu/artdesign.
Detailed Job Description
The College of Art and Design invites qualified individuals to apply to join the Facilities support team as the Instructional Support Specialist-Fabrication Processes. Teamwork, collaboration, sharing of resources, and backup support are core to the operational success of this team. This is a full-time, hourly position working onsite Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4:30 PM, and reports to the Operations Manager for the Schools of Art and Design.
• Responsible for the management of all aspects of the CAD's Design Shop, studios, related facilities and equipment.
• Oversees and manages the daily operation of all CAD Design Shop facilities and acts as the main point of contact for access to fabrication resources for Industrial Design and Interior Design programs.
• Direct supervision and management of approximately 5-10 student employees. Includes hiring, scheduling, approving timecards, and evaluating.
• Directly responsible for management and maintenance of all Design Shop facilities, equipment and related material resources. This includes troubleshooting, evaluating and basic preventative maintenance, as well as making repairs as necessary.
• Responsible for the education and reinforcement of safe studio practices, usage of hazardous mechanical equipment and processes, as well as managing the use and disposal of hazardous materials.
• Manages the development and implementation of safety protocols and related training. Teaches related studio use and protocols to reflect changing requirements.
• Maintains a basic range of personal protective equipment and safety items for departmental needs. Maintains an inventory of studio supplies.
• Acts as a steward of best practices in the studios and shops, engaging the relationship between curriculum and fabrication processes. Interacts with faculty to understand and develop curricular goals and expectations and provides guidance regarding technical processes and material use. Has a high degree of student contact as a teaching resource for fabrication and related studio processes. Interacts on a daily basis through discussion, demonstration and observation with students in the studio to guide students in the realization of their assignments. Collaborates with faculty and staff to ensure that safety keeps pace with evolving studio practices.
Required Minimum Qualifications
• Master of Fine Arts degree or equivalent experience in the fields of art, craft, or design.
• 2-4 years of professional experience in making and fabrication in the areas of design, craft, art or related fields
• 2-4 years of experience with fabrication processes for wood, metal, plastic, soft goods and related model making techniques
• 2-4 years of experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of woodworking and metalworking machinery, hand tools, and related studio equipment
• 2-4 years of teaching experience or equivalent
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, self-motivated, and organized with good attention to detail.
• 1–3 years of professional or related experience in relevant digital fabrication processes, CNC routing, laser cutting, 3D printing, etc.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://apptrkr.com/1992575
Rochester Institute of Technology, the 10th largest private university in the U.S., is among the world’s leading technological universities. Its 18,000 undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries are enrolled in over 200 academic programs, including 7 interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs. A pioneer in experiential education, RIT was the first to offer undergraduate degree programs in biotechnology, information technology, software engineering, and microelectronic engineering. As home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, the university offers unparalleled academic opportunities and services for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Founded in 1829, RIT has 115,000 alumni throughout the United States and around the world. RIT has been named by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the “Great Colleges to Work For.” RIT is a National Science Foundation ADVANCE Institutional Transformation site, and is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples through the Upstate NY Higher Education Recruitment Consortium. For more information, visit http://www.rit.edu/overview/rankings-and-recognition and http://www.rit.edu.
As a member of the RIT community employees receive a well-balanced benefits package that offers a variety of choices and access to additional employment advantages. These benefits, combined with an employee’s pay, provide a total compensation package that can be tailored to meet your needs. More on RIT’s Benefits, Health & Wellness program can be found at: https://www.rit.edu/fa/humanresources/content/benefits-health-and-wellness
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.