Welcome to the Funko-verse, a world built on pure imagination, a land governed by the philosophy that stories matter, a universe comprised of characters from countless fandoms, a galaxy of once upon a times and happily ever afters.
But what does Funko do?
Funko is a purveyor of pop culture and licensed-focused collectibles company. Funko currently holds thousands of lenses and the rights to create tens of thousands of characters – one of the largest portfolios in the pop culture and collectibles industry. Funko’s Pop! Vinyl is the number one stylized vinyl collectible on the market, selling millions of figures to fans around the world.
This position will be a key driver in helping to bring Funko’s new product to market with the most innovative and efficient packaging possible. This position sits within Funko’s HQ Packaging team located in Everett, WA and will collaboratively work with key cross-functional business partners (Packaging Art, Creative, Product Engineering, Product Development, Sourcing, Merchandising, Sales, Product Integrity and Compliance) to deliver on strategic packaging needs, cost reductions, and aid in additional upcoming initiatives. This position will play a critical part in designing with responsible material usage, assisting in company sustainable efforts via packaging, assisting with pallet configurations and efficient container load estimations, designing for SIOC and FFP regulations, and ensuring and validating that designs pass the necessary testing to make it from factory to retailer with integrity intact. Additionally, candidates will participate in communicating with factories and vendors overseas to ensure execution of packaging designs maintains company goals throughout development.
Our ideal candidate for this position will be someone who takes initiative and is a problem solver, can find the balance between design and engineering and flux as needed based on company goals. We are looking for someone who is a team player, has a positive attitude, and is ready to put the FUN in Funko Packaging.
• Design, engineer and execute packaging architecture from initial prototypes to mass production, creating technical drawings (dielines) and thought out specification files with clear communication for seamless vendor hand off
• Work collaboratively with cross functional partners, vendors, and production facilities to ensure packaging meets required visual form, fit, and function while meeting target costs
• Ensure designs meet performance, compliance, and testing requirements throughout its lifecycle by performing material, stress, and failure analysis. (e.g. ISTA Packaging Testing)
• Communicate with US and Asia based vendors throughout development timeline
• Engineer with thought to space and to maximize product shipment efficiencies
• Troubleshoot new and existing packaging concerns related to design, cost, timelines and material while providing creative solutions
• Utilize packaging lab to create white box and printed show ready mockups for internal and external review
• Knowledge and awareness of market trends, processes, and industry standards
• Understanding of printing processes, application techniques, treatments, and material specifications
• Aid in sustainability efforts for greater company initiatives
• 3 - 5 years of experience in consumer or industrial packaging (preferable in a fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) company; preferably toys & collectables
• Bachelor’s degree in Packaging Science, Packaging Engineering, Industrial Design (or similar field)
• High proficiency in Artios Cad and demonstrated proficiency in 3D modeling (Solidworks/Blender), Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, possibly Dimension)
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and drive initiatives in a cross-functional, fast-paced environment
• Ideally able to ideate visual representations of ideas and communicate them clearly
• Strong problem solving and decision-making skills with an intention for innovation
• Must be able to work independently but also cohesively in a team centric environment
• Experience with various materials and processes with a focus on cost reductions that do not sacrifice the ‘magic’
• Advanced written and verbal communication/ presentation skills to clearly and confidently present new concepts
• Experience with Microsoft Suite (Excel, Power Point)
• Ability to juggle organization, attention to detail, constructive feedback, and out of the box thinking!
The base salary range for this position in the selected city is $73,600 - $92,000 annually. ?Compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. Base pay is one part of the Total Package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for additional discretionary bonuses/incentives, and restricted stock units.
What Funko Offers
Funko offers a competitive compensation package with full benefits and a 401(K) plan with matching contributions from the company. Most importantly, we offer a creative work environment with people who love pop culture just as much as you do. Can’t wait to gush about your latest binge? Neither can we! Looking for a place where your favorite pop culture t-shirt will receive the compliments it deserves? We know how you feel!
Funko is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This position is based in Everett, Washington.